Tickets Release and Pre-Orders

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Bacon wrote:My friend who's going with me to see it joked to my other friend that "Dunkirk better be a damn good film because we're driving 3 hours to see it." Made me feel kind of bad since I know it's not as big of a deal for him as it is for me (but I didn't want to go alone). Hope he's singing a different tune after the film. We did talk about it tonight and he said while it's not something he would seek out, that he is looking forward to it because it'll be a new experience he may never do again.
Similar for my husband except he won't drive hours for this. I've been telling him about this film since the beginning of pre-production, even though he was not interested, so I sure hope he likes it. He would rather be seeing Valerian which we will see next.

Oku
Strange, why isn't he interested?

Did he not like Mr. Nolan's other films?

okungnyo wrote:Strange, why isn't he interested?

Did he not like Mr. Nolan's other films?
He mainly likes science fiction and fantasy films, and only some superhero films (mainly Ironman, Avengers, X-men, GOTG)). He liked Interstellar. Was not much into Inception though.

Oku
So he's like the majority of people who hear 'war film' and automatically tune out, even though this isn't really a war film.

Let's hope he changes his mind when he sees the final film. :)

okungnyo wrote:So he's like the majority of people who hear 'war film' and automatically tune out, even though this isn't really a war film.

I am also not usually interested in war films at all. I prefer escapist fare. We're not even usually into suspense films. Last one we saw in a cinema was Sum of All Fears (Tom Clancy story, 2002). I enjoy a good suspense film though (Jaws, Speed, Hitchcock and of course Alien which is also science fiction) and those are films Nolan studied for Dunkirk.

I hope your friend like Dunkirk too.

5 out of 8 friends I'm seeing this with have followed the movie since pre-production (through what I told them) and they are very excited! Yay :twothumbsup:

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:So he's like the majority of people who hear 'war film' and automatically tune out, even though this isn't really a war film.

I am also not usually interested in war films at all. I prefer escapist fare. We're not even usually into suspense films. Last one we saw in a cinema was Sum of All Fears (Tom Clancy story, 2002). I enjoy a good suspense film though (Jaws, Speed, Hitchcock and of course Alien which is also science fiction) and those are films Nolan studied for Dunkirk.

I hope your friend like Dunkirk too.
I'm not Bacon. :lol:
User of Interest wrote:5 out of 8 friends I'm seeing this with have followed the movie since pre-production (through what I told them) and they are very excited! Yay :twothumbsup:
Yay :twothumbsup:

I am less fortunate; everyone around me heard 'war film' and got instantly turned off, even though I tried to explain that it wasn't really a war film.

Sweet

dormouse7 wrote:
Bacon wrote:My friend who's going with me to see it joked to my other friend that "Dunkirk better be a damn good film because we're driving 3 hours to see it." Made me feel kind of bad since I know it's not as big of a deal for him as it is for me (but I didn't want to go alone). Hope he's singing a different tune after the film. We did talk about it tonight and he said while it's not something he would seek out, that he is looking forward to it because it'll be a new experience he may never do again.
Similar for my husband except he won't drive hours for this. I've been telling him about this film since the beginning of pre-production, even though he was not interested, so I sure hope he likes it. He would rather be seeing Valerian which we will see next.
I mean, does he know it has Styles in it and that's why you're interested? If I didn't know much about movies, I wouldn't be too thrilled about seeing a film with my wife's favorite celebrity from a boy band. (NOT meant to be insulting at all, just possibly explaining his POV if he doesn't understand the spectacle of the thing).

Bacon wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:
I mean, does he know it has Styles in it and that's why you're interested? If I didn't know much about movies, I wouldn't be too thrilled about seeing a film with my wife's favorite celebrity from a boy band. (NOT meant to be insulting at all, just possibly explaining his POV if he doesn't understand the spectacle of the thing).
Sorry for all of the quoting - on mobile. Answer is yes he knows, and if he wants to see Valerian we see Dunkirk first. Hehe