Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I think in terms of being deserved, Dunkirk deserves a visual effects nomination more so than a screenplay nomination.

I don't think the screenplay reads on the page as well or importantly as it does in the film itself.

Imagine this film Doesn't get nominated for best pic.

Matter of fact, scratch that, this is only gonna get nominated for 2 Oscars, Editing and sound mixing lol :D

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/wonde ... 202509132/
‘Wonder Woman’: Warner Bros. Plans Groundbreaking Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture (EXCLUSIVE)
The studio will also stump Patty Jenkins for best director, which would also be groundbreaking. No director of a comic-book film — not even Christopher Nolan — has ever been nominated
With all the focus on “Wonder Woman,” Warner Bros. won’t be neglecting its other summer hit. Sources report to Variety that the studio will also be bringing out the guns for “Dunkirk” and its director Nolan. That means, in a year without a clear frontrunner, Warner Bros. will have two big studio movies trying to crush the competition.

666kalpa wrote:
With all the focus on “Wonder Woman,” Warner Bros. won’t be neglecting its other summer hit. Sources report to Variety that the studio will also be bringing out the guns for “Dunkirk” and its director Nolan. That means, in a year without a clear frontrunner, Warner Bros. will have two big studio movies trying to crush the competition.
I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, and know it got good reviews....
but Best Picture and Director?
Do they think the "strong women" angle will actually get it nominated? Otherwise idk why there'd be such a push. If "The Dark Knight" couldn't get anything besides a ton of tech noms and a Supporting Actor nom/win...

nightfury93 wrote:
666kalpa wrote:
I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, and know it got good reviews....
but Best Picture and Director?
Do they think the "strong women" angle will actually get it nominated? Otherwise idk why there'd be such a push. If "The Dark Knight" couldn't get anything besides a ton of tech noms and a Supporting Actor nom/win...
Wonder Woman is solid, but it's literally a rehash of a bunch of superhero movies everyone has already seen. Thor (fish out of water), Captain America (war setting with love interest), Superman The Movie/Batman Begins (earnest origin stories), etc.

So yes I would think WB is counting on the novelty of what Wonder Woman represents to women helping put WB over the top with Academy voters. I don't think it will work, certainly not in the Best Director category where there are only 5 spots. I could see a nomination for Best Picture since there are potentially 10 spots for that one.

Except WW is actually better than all those movies you've mentioned (exception being arguably BB). If you're talking about the origin films. I mean you can always rehash stuff and end up making a better product. Rehashing is not a rare case in general by the way.

I think any great movie deserves the chance to be campaigning for the Oscars and I think we're past the point of saying "they're only "________________" because the movie is about bad ass women and feminism. It's a good flick period. Patty Jenkins did an incredible job. Some on Twitter want Logan to campaign too, so if Logan is good enough to campaign, why shouldn't Wonder Woman campaign too? (Not comparing the two movies by the way.)

RIFA wrote:Except WW is actually better than all those movies you've mentioned (exception being arguably BB). If you're talking about the origin films. I mean you can always rehash stuff and end up making a better product. Rehashing is not a rare case in general by the way.
I would take Captain America, Thor, Batman Begins, and Superman: The Movie over Wonder Woman any day of the week. Wonder Woman turns into a CGI clusterfuck at the end. Not my cup of tea. Enjoyed the performances by Galdot and Pine. Beyond that, I don't really have any desire to watch it ever again.

I thought Wonder Woman sucked too but personal opinions aside, if Deadpool can campaign than WW definitely can too.

Spert wrote:I thought Wonder Woman sucked too but personal opinions aside, if Deadpool can campaign than WW definitely can too.
I wouldn't say it sucks. The third act sucks big time. The rest of it is pretty good. Overall average or above average superhero movie in my opinion. The genre is very tired at this point. Always the same formulas, always the same CGI-fest at the end.