Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
The only major threats in Best Picture thus far is The Papers and Call Me by Your Name.

MyCocaine wrote:The only major threats in Best Picture thus far is The Papers and Call Me by Your Name.
What about that Churchill biopic

There is also Mudbound and Downsizing

Call me By Your Name doesn't even seem to be considered a contender right now

Spert wrote:What about that Churchill biopic
Doubt it.

Dunkirk and Darkest Hour would be a perfect double feature.

Tackling the same event in a wildly different manner.

Oku
The former being in a fresh, innovative manner while the other in the safest, most by-the-numbers manner possible.

okungnyo wrote:The former being in a fresh, innovative manner while the other in the safest, most by-the-numbers manner possible.
The former also being an experience-film that doesn't say much due to the fact that it is an experience piece. And these kinds of films didn't really had success when it comes to being nominated let alone win the Best Picture category. (and Gravity is not really Dunkirk for those that want to single out that film as the exception) Now a nomination for this film is guaranteed, mostly because they can nominate up to 10 films and I doubt there will be other 10 stronger contenders this year than Dunkirk. But for Dunkirk to win, that's not just a hill. That's a mountain to climb.

MyCocaine wrote:
Doubt it.

I definitely see Oldman getting nominated if not winning.

I just realized Linklater has a film premiering at NYFF also. Not sure if his film will have a Oscsr push though. Closest he got to it was Boyhood and it still didn't win anything.

Nomis wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:
Doubt it.

I definitely see Oldman getting nominated if not winning.
DDL can win

Spert wrote:I just realized Linklater has a film premiering at NYFF also. Not sure if his film will have a Oscsr push though. Closest he got to it was Boyhood and it still didn't win anything.
Last Flag Flying will be the best Alexander Payne movie of the year. It's getting in.

Kind of sad the Academy doesn't have a nom for ensemble cast, if anything this totally would deserve that one. It has to at least the SAG one lol.