Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
HorrorBiz wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm
but it’s very, very confusing. They constantly switch between night and day. I wasn’t familiar with Dunkirk in my history, and I didn’t know it’s in France. And they never explained it.

Many did not understand the timelines on a single watch of the film.

I've seen that complaint before, about switching between night and day. A person (on twitter or in Amazon reviews?) said it was bad continuity - weather changing, and switching suddenly between night and day. They didn't understand that the view from Air and the view from Sea are not at the same time as each other nor the same time as Land (until the timelines cross).

Someone else I saw on twitter got the impression that Dunkirk was about a soldier who moves around in time during the event (I am guessing they meant Cillian's character).

dormouse7 wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 3:02 pm
I've seen that complaint before, about switching between night and day. A person (on twitter or in Amazon reviews?) said it was bad continuity - weather changing, and switching suddenly between night and day.
To be fair, the scene where the medical ship sinks is kind of like that. I remember some of the footage having cloudy weather in some shots, and sunny in others.

As for the day and night transitions, they obviously were confused by the cross-cutting of the timelines.

I noticed it at the end where Hardy's trying to land. Nolan isn't a stranger to continuity issues. All you have to do is look at the bank/tunnel scenes from TDKR where it's daylight, then minutes later (at best) they exit the tunnel and it's night time lol. I always cringe at that but try to put it in the back of my mind because that entire sequence is just so thrilling.

Ruth wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 2:36 pm
HorrorBiz wrote:
but it’s very, very confusing. They constantly switch between night and day. I wasn’t familiar with Dunkirk in my history, and I didn’t know it’s in France. And they never explained it.
perfect response lol

Ruth wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 2:36 pm
HorrorBiz wrote:

Most showy directing doesn't mean best directing. Therefore I agree that Del Toro should take this Oscar.

I Am The Night wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm
Most showy directing doesn't mean best directing. Therefore I agree that Del Toro should take this Oscar.

So what, just because I'm a Nolan fan doesn't mean I have to put him 1st in the competition. Nolan is incredibly talented and consistent but he's so fucking unlucky.

Dunkirk, while not a great film (in my opinion), it's an incredible directorial achievement. Unfortunately it's up against TSOW, which got a lot of buzz and momentum from the precursors (It's the frontrunner for almost every Best Film awards, along with 3BB). Take out GDT and Nolan would have swept everything

Inception was incredible in both directing and writing, but he was up against Fincher's Social Network, which has one of the best direction I have ever seen in movies. Take out Fincher and Academy's obsession with Hooper and Nolan would had swept everything that year.

I Am The Night wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 7:30 am
So what, just because I'm a Nolan fan doesn't mean I have to put him 1st in the competition. Nolan is incredibly talented and consistent but he's so fucking unlucky.

Dunkirk, while not a great film (in my opinion), it's an incredible directorial achievement. Unfortunately it's up against TSOW, which got a lot of buzz and momentum from the precursors (It's the frontrunner for almost every Best Film awards, along with 3BB). Take out GDT and Nolan would have swept everything

Inception was incredible in both directing and writing, but he was up against Fincher's Social Network, which has one of the best direction I have ever seen in movies. Take out Fincher and Academy's obsession with Hooper and Nolan would had swept everything that year.

Imho shape of water isn't even that good. It's a pretty but ultimately flat and underwhelming science fiction film with some of the most in-your-face messaging I've ever seen. And Del toros directing wasn't that impressive at all. Not bad but certainly not Oscar worthy in the least.

I personally think Dunkirk is a far better film overall and Nolan's directing demolishes Del Toro's.

Also this year is so politically driven I honestly think if Del Toro wasn't here the Academy would give it to Peele or Gerwig to make a political statement.