Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
nightfury93 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
natalie wrote:I'm kinda shocked, and a bit worried, that so many of these critic circles are snubbing Dunkirk from getting nominated for Best Film, while still nominating it for Best Director.

I mean.... what?
I'd agree by the merits of the film [Dunkirk] alone, but unfortunately screenplay + actor/actress + supporting actor/actress + [maybe director as well] > director.
Still I wish it would get on there more. Makes me concerned for the Oscars.
The best thing the Oscars has going for it is its ability to fit as many as ten films in that category, and the rest is on a scoring system. I forget what that scoring system is, but if Dunkirk lands enough second-place votes with others canceling each other out in first place votes, I hope that would bode well for it.

Like I said, Dunkirk will get nominated for a bunch and win next to nothing. The Academy focuses on screenplay over everything else. BP winner of past 5 years (9 out of the past 10 years) have won screenplay noms and many of them won nothing else but that. A film can have best actor, best director, best cinematography, best visual effects, and best score and still lose to a film that won best screenplay.

To think otherwise is ludicrous.

Bacon wrote:Like I said, Dunkirk will get nominated for a bunch and win next to nothing. The Academy focuses on screenplay over everything else. BP winner of past 5 years (9 out of the past 10 years) have won screenplay noms and many of them won nothing else but that. A film can have best actor, best director, best cinematography, best visual effects, and best score and still lose to a film that won best screenplay.

To think otherwise is ludicrous.
Oh, I don't disagree with that at all.

On the other hand, where are the people who were shooting me down saying there wasn't any outside chance of Dunkirk being nominated for a screenplay, much less deserving one? I love this film and director as much as the next guy, but there is too much of :gonf: going on sometimes to blind yourselves from reality. If any awards prior to this was an indication, it's just not going to happen.

natalie wrote:Another Best Director Award from Capri Hollywood Film Fest.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ce=twitter
So it seems like Nolan might be the frontrunner so far for Best Director.... I'm cautious in saying that but.... it seems like he has more Awards than the others so far.

Also what're the odds Dunkirk only wins one Oscar and its for Best Director? (assuming both sound awards aren't in the bag)

Stop pressing the keyboard and sit back.

If Chris doesn't get nominated for BD...
Me to Oscars:
"I’m going to kill you! But I need to decide how far I’m willing to go… How many of my own rules I’m willing to break, to get it done!"

Top 10 Films of 2017 (Society of professional film critics in Oklahoma):
Dunkirk went empy handed.
1. Get Out
2. The Shape of Water
3. Lady Bird
4. Dunkirk
5. Good Time
6. Blade Runner 2049
7. Call Me By Your Name
8. The Florida Project
9. Wonder Woman
10. The Big Sick
Last edited by natalie on January 2nd, 2018, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natalie wrote:Top 10 Films of 2017 (Society of professional film critics in Oklahoma):
1. Get Out
2. The Shape of Water
3. Lady Bird
4. Dunkirk
5. Good Time
6. Blade Runner 2049
7. Call Me By Your Name
8. The Florida Project
9. Wonder Woman
10. The Big Sick
how

why