Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
stanley wrote:Nolan won't win (he's too white)

You don't get any whiter than this guy.

Then again, his film wasn't white at all... plus ten years ago were different times.

Hmm, you may have a point.
Yeah. The Oscar's are way political right now. After the backlash they got last year (?) about not being "diverse" enough, I just don't see it happening.

Innovator wrote:Nolan won Best Director at the Online Film Critics Society, making this his 8th win among critics circles.

I have to admit, feels nice to see him get some recognition.
I count seven :think:

stanley wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
stanley wrote:Nolan won't win (he's too white)

You don't get any whiter than this guy.

Then again, his film wasn't white at all... plus ten years ago were different times.

Hmm, you may have a point.
Yeah. The Oscar's are way political right now. After the backlash they got last year (?) about not being "diverse" enough, I just don't see it happening.
Oh yeah. Thats why Damien Chazelle (white) have won last year. Instead of Barry Jenkins (black, Director of Moonlight) :facepalm:
And for your information, they got the backlash since 2015. Not just last year. #oscarssowhite if you remember

Who is "diverse" enough to win the BD? Jordan Peele or Greta Gerwig? For their directorial debut? Not in a million times. Its Nolan or Del Toro!

Get Out qualifies as a masterpiece in my book.

A film at the zeitgeist of art and culture and politics.

This film won't be forgotten anytime soon.

natalie wrote:
Innovator wrote:Nolan won Best Director at the Online Film Critics Society, making this his 8th win among critics circles.

I have to admit, feels nice to see him get some recognition.
I count seven :think:
If I'm not mistaken he won at these:

Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association
Atlanta Film Critics Circle
Chicago Film Critics Association
Dublin Film Critics Circle
Phoenix Critics Circle
Seattle Film Critics Society
Florida Film Critics Circle
Online Film Critics Society

The Austin Film Critics Association

Best Director
Best Score
Best Cinematography

Just out of curiosity, what makes a film foreign? The primary language spoken? The country where it was primarily distributed in theaters?

I'm just assuming that like Dunkirk and Bond aren't ever considered foreign films (not that i ever assumed they would be), so I didn't know the actual criteria.

natalie wrote:The Austin Film Critics Association

Best Director
Best Score
Best Cinematography
I'm kinda shocked, and a bit worried, that so many of these critic circles are snubbing Dunkirk from getting nominated for Best Film, while still nominating it for Best Director.

I mean.... what?

nightfury93 wrote:
natalie wrote:I'm kinda shocked, and a bit worried, that so many of these critic circles are snubbing Dunkirk from getting nominated for Best Film, while still nominating it for Best Director.

I mean.... what?
I'd agree by the merits of the film [Dunkirk] alone, but unfortunately screenplay + actor/actress + supporting actor/actress + [maybe director as well] > director.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
nightfury93 wrote:
natalie wrote:I'm kinda shocked, and a bit worried, that so many of these critic circles are snubbing Dunkirk from getting nominated for Best Film, while still nominating it for Best Director.

I mean.... what?
I'd agree by the merits of the film [Dunkirk] alone, but unfortunately screenplay + actor/actress + supporting actor/actress + [maybe director as well] > director.
Still I wish it would get on there more. Makes me concerned for the Oscars.