Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Reaveybeach wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 9:56 am
The Academy will give him the fabled prize for a shit movie he'll make in 30 years as a thank you before he retires.
Why would you even anticipate/actively expect a shitty movie from Nolan :lol:

Look on the bright side. Even if the Academy won't change their ways and insist on not giving him a prize, he still won't need no golden statue to validate himself as one of the most influential and renowned directors by then, his legacy will speak for itself (given that he keeps up with the so far consistently good quality in his films). 8-)

Bale Fan wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 10:43 am
Reaveybeach wrote:
The Academy will give him the fabled prize for a shit movie he'll make in 30 years as a thank you before he retires.
Why would you even anticipate/actively expect a shitty movie from Nolan :lol:

Look on the bright side. Even if the Academy won't change their ways and insist on not giving him a prize, he still won't need no golden statue to validate himself as one of the most influential and renowned directors by then, his legacy will speak for itself (given that he keeps up with the so far consistently good quality in his films). 8-)
Ahhh you know, look at Spielberg or Scott, directors that go on for a long time usually end up making weaker and weaker movies. Now you've got Nolan, who seems incapable of winning any of the major categories. You could end up with a situation where he makes some unremarkable OK movie years from now that ends up winning all these awards and no one will give a crap, it's how these things tend to go.

Reaveybeach wrote:
Nolan just needs to make that "woke" movie he'll never make, and win. But he won't, so instead The Academy will give him the fabled prize for a shit movie he'll make in 30 years as a thank you before he retires.
Or maybe not. They still haven't given one to Ridley Scott, who seems bound for an honorary statue outside of the main competition.

It's baffling to me how one of the greatest directors is snubbed so hard award-wise. The guy is a freaking genius. Dunkirk deserved best picture and Dunkirk deserved best score (what a boring and a safe choice - no disrespect to Desplat).

I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 10:31 am
Ruth wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 8:46 am
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:14 am

LOL don't be silly. You can avoid the awards season if you want but to stop watching movies altogether? I mean the Oscars aren't the be-all and end-all of cinema.
People are so extra. We spend the entire year prepping ourselves "the oscars are nothing!!" just in case, but in the end some still end up losing their shit.

I'd rather have a rich and decades long filmography from Nolan that would cement his status as one of the legendary filmmakers of the century, than know that he has the gold statue somewhere in his bathroom. Unless he reaaally wants it himself... which I'm not too sure he's even that bothered about it.
Actually he does care. In a recent interview, when being asked about how do you feel about not having a Director-nomination, he admited that he's kind of unsatisfied.
You got a source for that?

I need a gif of Nolan hugging Lee Smith, he was so damn happy for him.

Overall, Dunkirk did as best as it could, given what we knew to expect, and 3 Oscars is still a fine result. So it was a good showing all around.

I Am The Night wrote:
Actually he does care. In a recent interview, when being asked about how do you feel about not having a Director-nomination, he admited that he's kind of unsatisfied.
What, no. He has said that he obviously would appreciate being recognized by his peers, but that at the end of day, he does films for mass audiences. Stop lying.

Innovator wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:07 pm
I need a gif of Nolan hugging Lee Smith, he was so damn happy for him.

Overall, Dunkirk did as best as it could, given what we knew to expect, and 3 Oscars is still a fine result. So it was a good showing all around.

I Am The Night wrote:
What, no. He has said that he obviously would appreciate being recognized by his peers, but that at the end of day, he does films for mass audiences. Stop lying.
Just for you ;)

Awww, I actually missed that. Chris seems genuinely happy.

natalie wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Just for you ;)
YES! THANK YOU! I just know I'm going to overuse it.

I really liked the music that was played everytime dunkirk won or its clips were shown... does it belog to the soundtrack ? i guess i remember hearing a similar version..but this is diff ..isn't ?