Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It may be better to not win if you care about what other people say... However, I'm certain Dunkirk is an instant classic, so if people are sour about the movie now they won't be in the future.

It's easily one of the best war films ever made and it would have been a totally deserving winner (for both picture and director). Backlash would have lasted for a few weeks at tops and it wouldn't have been a worse situasion than it not winning.

Let's wait for Bane for the actual Gary Oldman's speech :lol:

anikom15 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:59 am
There's an incredibly good chance I won't see a single film in 2018.

Cinema is dead.
LOL don't be silly. You can avoid the awards season if you want but to stop watching movies altogether? I mean the Oscars aren't the be-all and end-all of cinema.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:14 am
anikom15 wrote:

Cinema is dead.
LOL don't be silly. You can avoid the awards season if you want but to stop watching movies altogether? I mean the Oscars aren't the be-all and end-all of cinema.
Well he can do what I do and just binge older movies through TCM and streaming services. I get a lot more out of them than newer films tbh.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

Cinema is dead.
People are so extra. We spend the entire year prepping ourselves "the oscars are nothing!!" just in case, but in the end some still end up losing their shit.

I'd rather have a rich and decades long filmography from Nolan that would cement his status as one of the legendary filmmakers of the century, than know that he has the gold statue somewhere in his bathroom. Unless he reaaally wants it himself... which I'm not too sure he's even that bothered about it.

Ruth wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 8:46 am
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

Cinema is dead.
People are so extra. We spend the entire year prepping ourselves "the oscars are nothing!!" just in case, but in the end some still end up losing their shit.

I'd rather have a rich and decades long filmography from Nolan that would cement his status as one of the legendary filmmakers of the century, than know that he has the gold statue somewhere in his bathroom. Unless he reaaally wants it himself... which I'm not too sure he's even that bothered about it.
Honestly if "Dunkirk" didn't lose to such weak competition I wouldn't be as upset.
I was thoroughly underwhelmed by basically every other nominee I saw this year.

I was surprised it went home with 3 Oscars. Congrats to SHAPE, I saw it 2 days ago and was really surprised by it. Very well made tightly paced movie (and very charming). I do find it a bit premature though for so many people to go "Get Out will be the one movie above all the others tonight that will be talked about for years to come! It will be talked about in classrooms!"

Like, I get that movie is a lot more important and effective for minorities and black people in particular but as a movie, Get Out felt like a really good SNL sketch with a bigger budget.

Nolan just needs to make that "woke" movie he'll never make, and win. But he won't, so instead The Academy will give him the fabled prize for a shit movie he'll make in 30 years as a thank you before he retires.

Ruth wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 8:46 am
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

Cinema is dead.

Actually he does care. In a recent interview, when being asked about how do you feel about not having a Director-nomination, he admited that he's kind of unsatisfied.

Must have kind of suck to go to all those awards shows and lose them all, but hey that's part of the job. Hopefully one day he gets the recognition he deserves.