Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
What Dunkirk will most likely win:
- Best Sound Editing

What it very possibly could win:
- Best Sound Mixing
- Best Editing

What's still somewhat (barely) in the cards:
- Best Cinematography
- Best Score

Basically out of the Question:
- Best Picture
- Best Director
- Best Production Design

nightfury93 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 2:32 pm
What Dunkirk will most likely win:
- Best Sound Editing

What it very possibly could win:
- Best Sound Mixing
- Best Editing

What's still somewhat (barely) in the cards:
- Best Cinematography
- Best Score

Basically out of the Question:
- Best Picture
- Best Director
- Best Production Design
Not sure if I would throw out Picture so easily. I would put it in your “barely in the cards” category. With preferential voting, it could still be in play.

But maybe that’s just me being optimistic :lol:

Will Deakins really win though??

As for the score... I feel like they prefer to go with scores like Shape of Water and Phantom Thread, I'd be okay with the latter but dammit, Zimmer winning would be so fucking great. He did something truly amazing.

Nomis wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Will Deakins really win though??

As for the score... I feel like they prefer to go with scores like Shape of Water and Phantom Thread, I'd be okay with the latter but dammit, Zimmer winning would be so fucking great. He did something truly amazing.

Deakins has all the precursors... but don't forget the Academy doesn't see who the nominee is for cinematography... just the film.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they give it to "Shape of Water" (which would be a very uninspired and boring choice imho given the competition from Deakins and Hoytema) ... especially since they love to have director/cinematographer go hand-in-hand.

Honestly though, I think Van Hoytema's work is more impressive and overall more beautiful. I really hope he wins. Would be a pity if Shape of Water wins cinematography, most digitally shot films taking place in the 50s/60s are bound to have that glossy look I just can't stand. It looks too artificial, especially mixed with a green screen background.
I also think the lengthy orange ruling scenes in 2049 aren't going to help Deakins win the Oscar.

We'll find out in some six hours right? lol Anybody going to put some lists? I don't think I'll make one, since I honestly find it very hard to predict this year. Mostly because of the fact that I want Dunkirk to win as many awards as possible.

Nomis wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Honestly though, I think Van Hoytema's work is more impressive and overall more beautiful. I really hope he wins. Would be a pity if Shape of Water wins cinematography, most digitally shot films taking place in the 50s/60s are bound to have that glossy look I just can't stand. It looks too artificial, especially mixed with a green screen background.
I also think the lengthy orange ruling scenes in 2049 aren't going to help Deakins win the Oscar.

We'll find out in some six hours right? lol Anybody going to put some lists? I don't think I'll make one, since I honestly find it very hard to predict this year. Mostly because of the fact that I want Dunkirk to win as many awards as possible.

In an ideal world i'd love Hoytema to win.
And yeah, 'The Shape of Water' was underwhelming in many ways, including the cinematography. It's very standard... and honestly if any of it stands out I attribute that more to the art direction and whatnot than the actual DP.

I think I’d rather see mudbound win cinematography, and Rachel be the first woman to win, than shape. Even though I think Hoyt probably deserves it, Deakins Has been nominated so many times, he’s way past due

Frankthetank wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm
I think I’d rather see mudbound win cinematography, and Rachel be the first woman to win, than shape. Even though I think Hoyt probably deserves it, Deakins Has been nominated so many times, he’s way past due
You could even make the case that Bruno Delbonnel would be a better winner because he's pretty overdue as well.

Ace

I've already come to terms with the fact that Zimmer will be snubbed in favor of Desplat again. But if Shape of Water takes cinematography from Hoyte and Deakins I'll flip my shit.

Lee Smith also really needs an Oscar. Baby Driver is good but cmon...