Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
At least it god sound. Still a disappointing night, unless it wins any of the last 3. Which I highly doubt.

It won Sound.£

Dunkirk winning only Best Sound at BAFTA is incredibly bizarre.

Quite a dramatic message to send. Nolan will never win a BAFTA.

I'm also upset about how this awards season has turned out, but I think we are taking the whole thing way too seriously. No one should care all that much. Nolan is happy, his film got a lot of recognition and made a lot of money. The only thing left to do is to wait and see how history will ultimately judge his masterpiece.£

Master Virgo wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 5:16 pm
I'm also upset about how this awards season has turned out, but I think we are taking the whole thing way too seriously. No one should care all that much. Nolan is happy, his film got a lot of recognition and made a lot of money. The only thing left to do is to wait and see how history will ultimately judge his masterpiece.£
You're right, I personaly don't expect a prize to recognize his talent, but it's always nice when people recognize the value of someone's work.

Never really believed their was a bias against Nolan among others in the film industry. I just thought that was insecurity of passionate Nolan fanboys, which I try not to be. But, the continuing loses of Dunkirk to this mediocre competition, especially on the technical side makes me wonder if jealousy or "wanting to take him down a peg" or whatever truly exist on some level against Nolan.

radewart wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Never really believed their was a bias against Nolan among others in the film industry. I just thought that was insecurity of passionate Nolan fanboys, which I try not to be. But, the continuing loses of Dunkirk to this mediocre competition, especially on the technical side makes me wonder if jealousy or "wanting to take him down a peg" or whatever truly exist on some level against Nolan.
Maybe his push for film over digital makes the "big wigs" dislike him?

Or maybe because his films tend to be apolitical?

Or maybe because he's the only director who can make original films like "Dunkirk" a success in an industry where it seems only comic book movies and animated flicks have any chance, so people are jealous?

either way its really sad.

Btw what ended up winning the big BAFTA categories?
The usual suspects? Del Toro for Director? Peele for Screenplay? Etc?

I'm sick of this award season (scream in fangirl).

natalie wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 5:34 pm
I'm sick of this award season (scream in fangirl).
I'm checking out too.
It's just another stress I don't need... not to mention I take this stuff way too seriously lol

The bias against him certainly exist. He has the entire film industry by its throat.

An honourable man in a town of pigs. Nolan is an oddity in Hollywood.

No stereotypical outburst, loss of control or sanity. Also, he doesn't play politics.