Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

I Am The Night wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 7:30 am
So what, just because I'm a Nolan fan doesn't mean I have to put him 1st in the competition. Nolan is incredibly talented and consistent but he's so fucking unlucky.

Dunkirk, while not a great film (in my opinion), it's an incredible directorial achievement. Unfortunately it's up against TSOW, which got a lot of buzz and momentum from the precursors (It's the frontrunner for almost every Best Film awards, along with 3BB). Take out GDT and Nolan would have swept everything

Inception was incredible in both directing and writing, but he was up against Fincher's Social Network, which has one of the best direction I have ever seen in movies. Take out Fincher and Academy's obsession with Hooper and Nolan would had swept everything that year.
So you're saying Del Toro is the worthy winner because he got a lot of buzz...? I don't understand. You say he should win, yet you've only praised Nolan so far. Give me reasons why you think Del Toro's directing is better.

RIFA is that you coming back from the dead?£

Del Toro wins because he's a teddy bear.

People will look back at the Best Director winner scratching their heads.

Pulling a win based on personality and a cinematically inferior work is a new low.

Nolan should win

MyCocaine wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 3:30 pm
Del Toro wins because he's a teddy bear.

People will look back at the Best Director winner scratching their heads.

Pulling a win based on personality and a cinematically inferior work is a new low.
On the plus side maybe Nolan losing here will make him a big priority to win another Oscar soon to "make up" for it.
Hopefully its for a worthy work though, and not just making it up to him for the heck of it. (like I feel as if they're doing here w. Del Toro when he honestly should've won something for "Pan's Labyrinth")

I hope the actors attend the BAFTAs. BAFTA announces attendees tomorrow (Thursday). Recently one of the young actors ended a tweet to another with "See you soon". And it seems like Harry may have just traveled to London.

nightfury93 wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 3:39 pm

On the plus side maybe Nolan losing here will make him a big priority to win another Oscar soon to "make up" for it.
Hopefully its for a worthy work though, and not just making it up to him for the heck of it. (like I feel as if they're doing here w. Del Toro when he honestly should've won something for "Pan's Labyrinth")
Dude, we've been saying those sorts of things since the time of The Dark Knight. Somehow it feels that filmmakers who are cinefil favourites rarely ever have much luck with these awards things. Something to do with them being mostly ahead of their times I guess.£

Just spittballin here, so bear with me..

The academy has given the Oscar to the directorial technical achievement the past five years (Life of Pie, Gravity, Birdman, The Revenant, La La Land), and no one can deny that Dunkirk is that film this year. All are original or feel it(LoP is adaptation I know). All were big hits and made about the same amount of money, besides Birdman which still made $100 million, and all were made by Directors who are accomplished and respected in the industry. So what gives?

It’s not even like there’s a Mad Max or Boyhood that one could argue is just as impressive or more so this year. The one movie some people could argue, BR2049, isn’t even nominated. So why in all likelihood, is Nolan going home empty-handed this year?

I get the inclination around the academy, and the industry in general, that since Nolan is so massively popular and that films are so successful, he doesn’t need to win, or at least not now.

These previous Directors that have won, as good as they are, can’t just market a movie on their name alone. They needed starpower to do it. Nolan literally just put out an experimental blockbuster, that doesn’t involve the U.S., where there is almost no dialogue, and put a 19 year old kid who was washing dishes no less than a year ago, front and center, and made it the highest grossing WWII ever.

He’s quite literally the STAR of his own movie now. He has creative license from a major studio, to ask for $100+ million dollar budget for any idea that pops into his head and everyone knows it will be a hit, no matter how abstract the movie. And in way, that probably makes people feel less inclined to owe him something. Unfortunately, I think going forward as long as Nolan is in the position that he is, voters will look for any arbitrary reason to try give the award elsewhere.

And btw, I’m not trying to knock the other filmmakers. I think PTA, and del toro are great. Peele and Gerwig feel like fresh up-in-coming directors who no doubt have bright futures. I’m just pointing out an observation.

Anyway, I’m probably totally wrong, and he’ll win for his next movie, who knows.

Frankthetank wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 1:46 am
The academy has given the Oscar to the directorial technical achievement the past five years (Life of Pie, Gravity, Birdman, The Revenant, La La Land), and no one can deny that Dunkirk is that film this year. All are original or feel it(LoP is adaptation I know). All were big hits and made about the same amount of money, besides Birdman which still made $100 million, and all were made by Directors who are accomplished and respected in the industry. So what gives?
And all of those directors had won major directorial awards (DGA, BAFTA, previous Oscar etc.) as well as being behind best picture winners (in other categories than the Oscars) either that year or a previous year. Dunkirk doesn't have one single major win for picture or director yet, and neither does Nolan for anything in his career so far.

And if Birdman goes as a technical achievement, then Shape of Water does the same. Remember it's Del Toro we're talking about here. He is also known as a director that pushes boundaries for practical effects in film, even if it's on another scale than Nolan. And sadly he's more liked in the industry than Nolan is, which is the only reason he's winning.