Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

dormouse7 wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 4:05 pm
AwardsDaily: Predictions Friday — Why Dunkirk Is Still in the Race for Best Picture and Other Odd Findings
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2018/02/09/p ... -findings/
Eh, unless it sweeps at the BAFTAs I think its wishful thinking.
But who knows.... precursors may be wrong this year and trends could be broken.

It would be funny though if a backlash grew against SoW from people thinking its overrated then Dunkirk won BP and BD... but yeah its a pipe dream.

Dunkirk only won Best Sound (Mixing and Editing) at the Satellite Awards after leading with 11 nominations.

After the DGA loss, I can confidently say that Nolan is not winning BAFTA at this point, let alone the Oscars. Del Toro is now a 1000% lock for Best Director.

People still believe that Dunkirk is a contender for Best Picture ? Seriously ?.
It's winning sound categories, that's it.

Such a shame, if GDT film wasn't released this year, Nolan would have swept all the precursors and won the Oscars. I guess it's the movie's quality that affect Nolan's chance. Dunkirk's direction is the most showy and it's clear that Nolan did the most directing, but the passion of the film is too low, with a character-free script and no plot - character development which is an enormous disadvantage compared to The Shape of Water.

That's insane....

Apes won best editing and Wonder Woman won best score. lol

I Am The Night wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 11:20 am
After the DGA loss, I can confidently say that Nolan is not winning BAFTA at this point, let alone the Oscars. Del Toro is now a 1000% lock for Best Director.

People still believe that Dunkirk is a contender for Best Picture ? Seriously ?.
I think it'll win for film editing and one of the sound categories, possibly both of them. I don't see it winning in any of the other categories it's nominated for.

I Am The Night wrote:

Such a shame, if GDT film wasn't released this year, Nolan would have swept all the precursors and won the Oscars. I guess it's the movie's quality that affect Nolan's chance. Dunkirk's direction is the most showy and it's clear that Nolan did the most directing, but the passion of the film is too low, with a character-free script and no plot - character development which is an enormous disadvantage compared to The Shape of Water.

"Shape of Water" winning is 90% politics I guarantee it. Nothing to do with quality.

Face it.... award's season is now all about what messages you put in your film and how well you pander to the Hollywood crowd. Nolan and "Dunkirk" don't do that as much as Del Toro and "Shape of Water"... which honestly has a very bland story and the fact that it's a frontrunner is honestly depressing. Also the character's in it weren't even that great. They all felt like two-dimensional caricatures rather than actual, fleshed-out people. It was a very, VERY disappointing film and it still baffles me voters actually will vote for Del Toro for his effort here over Nolan... yet it doesn't.

In a just world, Chris would've swept the precursors and win the Oscars. But this isn't a just world, it's a world where you gotta "play the game" and "rub elbows" with the right people.

Then again I also think "Get Out" shouldn't be nominated for anything but it might win Best Screenplay and Picture at this rate so what the hell do I know?

HorrorBiz wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 11:54 am
I Am The Night wrote:

I think it'll win for film editing and one of the sound categories, possibly both of them. I don't see it winning in any of the other categories it's nominated for.
I agree. I also think it has a shot at upsetting Deakins for cinematography, but knowing how the Oscars go it will likely go to "Shape of Water"... even though I don't think it should.

The Daily Beast and Indiewire both have their annual anonymous Oscar voter articles. Neither of the two people interviewed for these are fans of Dunkirk. Here are some excerpts from The Daily Beast one:
Will The Shape of Water win the most awards? Dunkirk?
I hope it’s not Dunkirk. Between Darkest Hour and Dunkirk, I didn’t understand Dunkirk. It’s a fine battle picture, but it’s very, very confusing. They constantly switch between night and day. I wasn’t familiar with Dunkirk in my history, and I didn’t know it’s in France. And they never explained it.

The Post?
I liked The Post. I know that other people had issues with it because they compared it to the actual events and to All The President’s Men, but where I was not familiar with Dunkirk, I was also not familiar with the events from The Post, and unlike Dunkirk, I was not confused by The Post and I was very enthralled by the narrative.
What about Best Director? Martin McDonagh wasn’t nominated for Three Billboards…
If it was Martin up there, I would hands-down have voted for him, and I don’t understand why he didn’t make it.

Who will you vote for?
Because of the choices they picked, it’s going to be between Greta Gerwig [for Lady Bird] and Guillermo del Toro [for The Shape of Water]. Most likely, I will do del Toro.

Will he win?
I frankly think they did a horrible job picking the five directors. If Martin was nominated, hands-down he would win. Christopher Nolan may get it because of his body of work and because of how people feel about Dunkirk. I feel the best chance is del Toro.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/confessio ... et-get-out

And here are some Indiewire excerpts:
I just didn’t like “Dunkirk” and “Lady Bird” that much. “Dunkirk” was too impersonal (oddly, “Darkest Hour” told the Dunkirk story in a better way) and “Lady Bird” was overrated. While “The Florida Project” was too controversial, too dark and edgy, too indie, it’s a really good film. And not Oscar fodder. I have no idea why “Mudbound” didn’t get nominated for best film or best director. It deserved it above “Lady Bird” and “Phantom Thread.”
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/anonym ... 201927235/

HorrorBiz wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm
The Daily Beast and Indiewire both have their annual anonymous Oscar voter articles. Neither of the two people interviewed for these are fans of Dunkirk. Here are some excerpts from The Daily Beast one:
Will The Shape of Water win the most awards? Dunkirk?
I hope it’s not Dunkirk. Between Darkest Hour and Dunkirk, I didn’t understand Dunkirk. It’s a fine battle picture, but it’s very, very confusing. They constantly switch between night and day. I wasn’t familiar with Dunkirk in my history, and I didn’t know it’s in France. And they never explained it.

The Post?
I liked The Post. I know that other people had issues with it because they compared it to the actual events and to All The President’s Men, but where I was not familiar with Dunkirk, I was also not familiar with the events from The Post, and unlike Dunkirk, I was not confused by The Post and I was very enthralled by the narrative.
What about Best Director? Martin McDonagh wasn’t nominated for Three Billboards…
If it was Martin up there, I would hands-down have voted for him, and I don’t understand why he didn’t make it.

Who will you vote for?
Because of the choices they picked, it’s going to be between Greta Gerwig [for Lady Bird] and Guillermo del Toro [for The Shape of Water]. Most likely, I will do del Toro.

Will he win?
I frankly think they did a horrible job picking the five directors. If Martin was nominated, hands-down he would win. Christopher Nolan may get it because of his body of work and because of how people feel about Dunkirk. I feel the best chance is del Toro.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/confessio ... et-get-out

And here are some Indiewire excerpts:
I just didn’t like “Dunkirk” and “Lady Bird” that much. “Dunkirk” was too impersonal (oddly, “Darkest Hour” told the Dunkirk story in a better way) and “Lady Bird” was overrated. While “The Florida Project” was too controversial, too dark and edgy, too indie, it’s a really good film. And not Oscar fodder. I have no idea why “Mudbound” didn’t get nominated for best film or best director. It deserved it above “Lady Bird” and “Phantom Thread.”
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/anonym ... 201927235/
WTF? Who is this people?
Darkest Hour is an Oscar bait and apparently... work it much better than Dunkirk. :facepalm: