Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I look at it like this, Fincher, PTA, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Leone, Tarantino have all never won Oscars for Best Director. That's pretty good company to be in but I hope that Nolan wins one at some point in his career. It took Scorsese forever to win just once. He's still a great director if he never wins one.

Oku wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 9:08 am
Whereas for Mr. (del) Toro, this may be his only chance

bootsy wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:05 pm
I look at it like this, Fincher, PTA, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Leone, Tarantino have all never won Oscars for Best Director. That's pretty good company to be in but I hope that Nolan wins one at some point in his career. It took Scorsese forever to win just once. He's still a great director if he never wins one.
This is what I'm holding on to. But I just know I'm gonna be so disappointed when Oscar night comes.

Looks like Chazelle is going to remain the only American director to have won BD so far this decade.£

I am super stoked to watch the DGA’s meet the feature film nominees. I read that its like three hours long. It’ll probably take me a month to finish watching all that, lol. I hope they post it soon.

Sanchez wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:37 pm
bootsy wrote:
This is what I'm holding on to. But I just know I'm gonna be so disappointed when Oscar night comes.
It will be disappointing but I've accepted it. This is how it's going to be. Getting the nom is the achievement and Nolan being such a respected and admired director will never go away. Losing to del Toro who I like eases it a little bit. If he lost to like someone said earlier Tom Hopper or some lesser director I would be pretty agitated.

bootsy wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:28 pm
Sanchez wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:37 pm
bootsy wrote:
It will be disappointing but I've accepted it. This is how it's going to be. Getting the nom is the achievement and Nolan being such a respected and admired director will never go away. Losing to del Toro who I like eases it a little bit. If he lost to like someone said earlier Tom Hopper or some lesser director I would be pretty agitated.
I agree, but still I'm shocked how disappointed I was with "The Shape of Water."
Shame Del Toro's gonna win for it when he didn't win for something better like Pan's but... whatever.

It does hurt a bit less that at least Nolan's losing to someone like him though. I'd still be more pissed if he lost to Peele tbh.

But objectively I think Nolan's directing work on "Dunkirk" was better than Del Toro's in "Shape."

I haven’t seen Shape of Water so I can’t speak for its quality. But, I think its pretty remarkable that the Academy is fully embracing a monster film. They have been reluctant in the past to honour genre work, so it’s hard to feel disappointed with a GDT win in directing or best picture.

Oku
redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 3:28 pm
Oku wrote:
You came out of the woodwork for this :lol:
What is your problem? People are complaining that he won't win, but the nomination itself is a big deal considering his past with AMPAS.
I was saying hello since it's been a while since you've posted...
Ruth wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:07 pm
Oku wrote:
Whereas for Mr. (del) Toro, this may be his only chance
As in like relatively, compared to Mr. Nolan.
cooldude wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:22 pm
I am super stoked to watch the DGA’s meet the feature film nominees. I read that its like three hours long. It’ll probably take me a month to finish watching all that, lol. I hope they post it soon.
Why a month?
cooldude wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 6:13 pm
I haven’t seen Shape of Water so I can’t speak for its quality. But, I think its pretty remarkable that the Academy is fully embracing a monster film. They have been reluctant in the past to honour genre work, so it’s hard to feel disappointed with a GDT win in directing or best picture.
It may be a monster film, but from what I've read, love for cinema is a big part of the film, so that may be part of the reason.

Oku wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 8:05 pm
cooldude wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:22 pm
Why a month?
I’m exaggerating. I just meant that it’ll take me longer than one sitting to watch all over it.

Oku wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 8:05 pm
cooldude wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 6:13 pm
It may be a monster film, but from what I've read, love for cinema is a big part of the film, so that may be part of the reason.
Could be but it’s still very much a genre film. Being labeled as a genre film isn’t seen as respectable by the academy.