Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
GDT is a vibrantly warm cuddly dude. I don't love a single one of his movies, but I'll buy a ticket to anything he ever makes just to support him. Similar to Rian Johnson. Nolan's cerebral and not that kind of dude. He has a lot of respect, but a lot less love.

That's the name of the game with awards season, always has been.

-Vader

At least he finally got nominated by AMPAS. That is a big change from the past.

What does "buying a ticket just to support him" have to do with industry love, though? If you want to compare audience support between the two, Nolan's definitely more loved.

Actors love Nolan, but it's well known that the rest of the industry hasn't been as infatuated for a good while.

But again and staying positive, a BD nomination alone is a big win and it shows that anything's possible when the quality of the work is undeniable. Specially in heated political times like these.

Vader182 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 6:42 am
GDT is a vibrantly warm cuddly dude. I don't love a single one of his movies, but I'll buy a ticket to anything he ever makes just to support him. Similar to Rian Johnson. Nolan's cerebral and not that kind of dude. He has a lot of respect, but a lot less love.

-Vader
What about Alejandro González Iñárritu? He's hardly warm and cuddly.

I think the real reason Dunkirk is getting "snubbed" is because it's not considered an "actor's movie".

Insomniac wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 7:43 am
Vader182 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 6:42 am

-Vader
What about Alejandro González Iñárritu? He's hardly warm and cuddly.

I think the real reason Dunkirk is getting "snubbed" is because it's not considered an "actor's movie".

This. Also it checks all the right political boxes for the academy.
Also doesn't hurt that del Toro makes sure to include a few homages to classic Hollywood in there. Voters eat that sh*t up.

EDIT: Just my take... does anyone else feel like the quality of films (esp. Oscar nominated films) is on the decline? Like, most of the nominated films I saw this year and last year really disappointed me.

Oku
Can't say I'm torn up about it.

Everyone knows that Mr. Nolan has carte blanche at WB and will get unlimited stabs at awards in the years to come.

Whereas for Mr. (del) Toro, this may be his only chance, and he does deserve it.
redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 6:55 am
At least he finally got nominated by AMPAS. That is a big change from the past.
You came out of the woodwork for this :lol:

I think Nolan comes off as incredibly likable in interviews and all that.

He just doesn't play the awards season games and isn't super phony.

Which tbh makes him even more likable to me.

Emma took apart of this Producer panel at the Santa Barbara Film Festival yesterday:

Her reaction to Nolan's statement that they never argue or take the work home with them is funny :lol:

The Taxman wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm
I think Nolan comes off as incredibly likable in interviews and all that.

He just doesn't play the awards season games and isn't super phony.

Which tbh makes him even more likable to me.
Going off this, Nolan also doesn't pander to Oscar voters for the most part.

For instance, "Shape of Water" includes a whole lot of throwbacks to old, classic Hollywood. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but looking at its success with award's shows and other films that did well at the Oscars, I wouldn't be surprised if it was included in order to win over Academy voters.

Oku wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 9:08 am
You came out of the woodwork for this :lol:
What is your problem? People are complaining that he won't win, but the nomination itself is a big deal considering his past with AMPAS.