Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
At least now we know that Nolan can get a Best Director nomination after all. That's something.

Deadline was live blogging the DGA and posted some of Chris and Emma’s quotes.
“I can’t speak in public though,” says Thomas. She worked with Nolan since 1990. They are also married. “I feel very qualified to feel very qualified to speak about Christopher Nolan and I promise to stick to the directing and not the home stuff.”
Emma Thomas, “He extended Warner Bros. capacity for risk with Inception…” on Nolan. 
Thomas: “He made the film pretty much in camera with WWII ships and spitfires” on Nolan shooting ‘Dunkirk’
“Arthouse masquerading as a summer blockbuster…and it became a blockbuster” says Thomas on ‘Dunkirk’
“Dunkirk was a ballsy move made by a  ballsy filmmaker” says Thomas 
“You’re my partner in film and in life and I love you very much,” says Nolan to his wife Emma Thomas.
Nolan: “In an industry full of blowhards and self-promoters, your quiet mastery of the silent art of film producing is the secret weapon,” he says to his wife and producer.
lol, I love this one.

Nolan praises Warner Bros. for their extraordinary marketing campaign.
“This is the first time I ever tried to tell a story that was real, that real people lived and died in.”
“I think the example of what they achieved will stand in eternity.”
Nolan: “I now have four of these, and four kids, so if I kick the bucket tomorrow there will now be no arguing over DGA souvenirs, so thanks very much.”
Last edited by cooldude on February 4th, 2018, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbh a big part of it I think is that GDT is just ridiculously likable and Nolan aint.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:50 am
tbh a big part of it I think is that GDT is just ridiculously likable and Nolan aint.

-Vader
what

when did this become deltorofans.com?

Edit: Nolan's massively likeable here.

How easy Nolan could have sweep this award season if GDT didn't release last year.

Pratham wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:58 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
what

But we have heard of the same complaint for many years that Nolan isn’t personable when campaigning. He comes off as cold and uncaring. Didn’t David Poland tweet recently that Oscar voters were complaining of his demeanour? The award race is a popularity contest. GDT has being campaigning way more rigorously than Nolan and he comes across as a teddy bear. It’s not even comparable. It’s not about what we think but what the industry thinks of him.

cooldude wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:28 am
Pratham wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
what

But we have heard of the same complaint for many years that Nolan isn’t personable when campaigning. He comes off as cold and uncaring. Didn’t David Poland tweet recently that Oscar voters were complaining of his demeanour? The award race is a popularity contest. GDT has being campaigning way more rigorously than Nolan and he comes across as a teddy bear. It’s not even comparable. It’s not about what we think but what the industry thinks of him.
Then they should change the name of the award to "most likable director."

Awwwwwwww Image

nightfury93 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:34 am
cooldude wrote:
Pratham wrote:

what

I am pointing out why Nolan is losing to GDT, not saying I agree with it. I'm pretty sure that was what Vader182 was saying with his post.

cooldude wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:48 am
nightfury93 wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:34 am
cooldude wrote:

I am pointing out why Nolan is losing to GDT, not saying I agree with it. I'm pretty sure that was what Vader182 was saying with his post.
Yeah I know, still pisses me off though.

Kind of regret watching SoW on Friday since I was originally okay with del Toro winning for it, but it was so underwhelming.

I guess I'll do what some poster above me said... pretend del Toro's inevitable Oscar is just a delayed win for "Pan's Labyrinth"... a film he SHOULD have won something for.