Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
NotoriousWolf wrote:
Why are you always negative when you post, like Forreal?
Better question. Why are you exaggerating?

DoctorRadiohead wrote:Dunkirk is too memorable a film to win Best Picture. How often Best Picture winners from past few years were discussed again?
Apart from All Quiet on the Western Front, It Happened One Night, Gone With the Wind, Rebecca, Casablanca, The Best Years of Our Lives, All About Eve, From Here to Eternity, On the Waterfront, Marty, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben-Hur, The Apartment, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, A Man for All Seasons, Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather Part II, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Chariots of Fire, Amadeus, Platoon, Rain Man, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Titanic, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, The Return of the King, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, The Hurt Locker, and 12 Years a Slave, very very few, you're right.

Yeah the last few have been... decent, time will tell how they stand up, but it's more about being part of a canon.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
NotoriousWolf wrote:
I don't know if he's exaggerating but you've been quite negative prior to the film release.
You predicted that critics would be more divisive on Dunkirk than on Interstellar. Didn't happen
You said audience would be divisive. Didn't happen.
You said it might flop. Didn't happen.

So of course now you're onto the Dunkirk has no award chance bandwagon, so I genuinely hope you'll be wrong again.

redfirebird2008 wrote:Dunkirk won't be taken seriously for the major awards.
While I do somewhat agree let me reiterate from last page since you just made another silly comment:

Mahiya_Borden wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
NotoriousWolf wrote:
I don't know if he's exaggerating but you've been quite negative prior to the film release.
You predicted that critics would be more divisive on Dunkirk than on Interstellar. Didn't happen
You said audience would be divisive. Didn't happen.
You said it might flop. Didn't happen.

So of course now you're onto the Dunkirk has no award chance bandwagon, so I genuinely hope you'll be wrong again.
1. I predicted 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. That is better than Interstellar.

2. The movie IS more divisive with audiences than his previous efforts, especially given the fact that he actually got the snob critics on MetaCritic to rave about his movie for once. Go look at the RT audience score of Dunkirk compared to his other recent films. All of his other films have faced more scrutiny after years of release and yet Dunkirk's audience score is already lower than many of them after less than 2 weeks of release. Look at the IMDB score which is likely headed for a finish similar to Batman Begins. This is not receiving the near unanimous praise from fanboys on the Internet that TDK, Inception, TDKR, and Interstellar received. For what it's worth, I consider Dunkirk a top 3 Nolan movie with Memento/Prestige. But clearly the fanboys that voted a bunch of 10's on films like TDK, Inception, and Interstellar disagree with my assessment. They're not giving the same level of praise to Dunkirk. That's just observing a fact, not "being negative."

The movie is sitting at 94 on MetaCritic and yet headed for weaker legs at the domestic box office than Interstellar or Inception. I would say there is a small divide between critics and audiences on this one. I'm glad it's not a severe divide like Hail Caesar, but we are obviously not looking at a situation where audiences fully agree with the critical reception. If that was the case, it would be headed for well over $200m domestic based on the $50m opening. Instead it's probably headed for a final gross around $180m. I consider that to be a great result for this movie, but the legs don't really match up with the critical reception.

3. I said it MIGHT flop. That is a completely reasonable assessment. I'd rather prepare for all outcomes than stick my head in the sand and pretend the movie is gonna be a guaranteed billion dollar hit. Then you end up with the rug pulled out from under you like Luc Besson with Valerian. Or did you miss the report on Deadline about how risky this Dunkirk project was? They even quoted someone from inside the industry who was very certain it would flop. He/she said, "Somehow Dunkirk will make money. I don't know how. I'm done betting against Nolan."

4. I hope I am dead wrong about the Oscars. Nolan's history is not very good with those voters and this isn't even a typical war movie, so it's not like we can say he's playing right into their wheelhouse. He put his own Nolan-esque twist on the film's structure and he also chose to not have this be an actor-focused film. The problem is most of the Academy are actors and they have their biases. Let's hope the film is able to overcome those biases in the Academy voting population.
Last edited by redfirebird2008 on August 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oku
I think it's more the casual filmgoers, not the "fanboys", who are giving this low ratings.

It doesn't have Batman in it and it's not a sci-fi.

It's not a great mystery as to why the ratings on IMDB are lower.

okungnyo wrote:I think it's more the casual filmgoers, not the "fanboys", who are giving this low ratings.
I think it's both.

112% chance

MyCocaine wrote:It doesn't have Batman in it and it's not a sci-fi.

It's not a great mystery as to why the ratings on IMDB are lower.
What about Memento and Prestige? They are sitting at 92-94% on RT audience score after many years of scrutiny. Dunkirk is at 83% after less than 2 weeks of release.

My question is what are the renters (and pirates) who watch this movie on their phones and smaller TV's going to think of it? They usually tend to be harder to please than the folks who see any given movie in a theater. That's why those audience scores on a Memento or Prestige are extremely impressive. They've gone through a lot of scrutiny after many years.