What if Dunkirk is disappointing?

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Cilogy wrote:Looking like it's gonna be Nolan's most well-reviewed film, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna be a steaming pile of filth like all his other "movies."
Art is subjective. You never know, you may be that one guy on RT who didn't like it because it wasn't some conventional boring crap we've all already seen.

Anybody here saw it and found it disappointing?

Yes

tommyjon400 wrote:Anybody here saw it and found it disappointing?
Several in the member reviews thread seem disappointed. Just because critics are raving does not mean general audiences (including Nolan's fanbase) will enjoy it as much as the critics. Even the positive reviews acknowledge that the characters are not fleshed out and the non-linear storytelling can be confusing. Some reviews are calling it impressionist and experimental.

This is not going to play great with general audiences in my opinion. So in that regard, it could easily be a huge disappointment for a lot of people on this website and in the general population outside the critic/filmmaker community.

Lord Shade wrote:Yes
Would you rate it higher or lower than Assassins Creed

prowlercomesaround wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:Yes
Would you rate it higher or lower than Assassins Creed
Lol

tommyjon400 wrote:Anybody here saw it and found it disappointing?
Tbh I just got back from the theater and found it disappointing. Mostly because I expected there to be so much /more/. I think he made a big mistake pacing it so quickly and glossing over the moments that were SUPPOSED to be emotional, which were hardly touched on. Like
the drowning scene in the first ship, the tension of being worried Tommy and Alex wouldn't make it out and that they might drown was just... so glossed over. I was all prepared to shed a few tears over it and then BAM they were fine in 5 seconds. Same with the second drowning scene (though my heart broke for Aneurin's "Gibson" when he died). About the only scene that really got to me was with the young boy (I can't remember the actor for the life of me right now) who was holding his breath as long as he could, knowing he'd come up to flames and burn to death. That made me cry. The one really incredible scene that had me burst into tears from sheer relief was Tom Hardy landing the plane at the end. I thought for sure he wouldn't make it. The relief and the victory was so immense.... and then the heartbreak when you realized he survived all that, just to be captured by the Germans. God, my heart broke.
And I know he didn't want to give any backstory or really flesh-out characters so that we'd really feel the tension of the moment and depend on the situation/ to give it all to us.... but again, I personally think that was a mistake. About the only characters I really felt for were Alex, Aneurin's, Barry's, and Tom's.

I think if I hadn't known the run-time beforehand it would've been better. I felt like I was checking the clock every five minutes to see when it'd be over - not because it was boring but because I was desperately hoping there'd be MORE. I felt like I was just... watching a series of events happen to people I wasn't connected to beyond loving the actors and their interactions during promo, and I kept waiting for that moment that would hook me and make me care about them, which just made me sad because I've been looking forward to this movie since day one.

I feel so bad saying any of that though.

I hated Dark Knight Rises and I'd put Dunkirk even below that.

tommyjon400 wrote:I hated Dark Knight Rises and I'd put Dunkirk even below that.
Interestingly both movies are Nolan trying to take on the war genre. Maybe you should stay away if he announces his next film deals with it as well.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed (which also breaks my heart to say). Very impressive on a technical scale, but I was also hoping for a "WOW" moment that would get me hooked but I never got there. I left the theater feeling kind of meh, whereas in all his other films I'm emotionally overwhelmed.

To be honest, right now it's probably my least favorite Nolan film. I love all his films though. I just preferred his stories in his other films versus the impressionist vibe I got from this film.