Trailer #3

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
Bacon wrote:It's quite odd to me considering how almost every piece of footage released looks brilliant. :wtf:

Nothing they've done has peaked my interest or others' interest and trailer 2 is cut very oddly. Pacing is kind of all over the place. I get the sense that the marketers are either struggling with what they're able to show or they don't know how to edit together what they have to provide a plot background to the audience.
Well said. I think you're spot on regarding everything.

My guess is that Mr. Nolan is being stricter than usual about what the marketing team is allowed to show in the trailers, because Dunkirk will be more reliant on visuals than any of his previous films.

Inception and Interstellar could afford to spoil the visual set pieces (a city folding on itself and the giant waves) in their trailers, because they had their mind-bending plots on which to fall back.

But Dunkirk is a traditional story with a comparatively simple story, so Mr. Nolan is aware of the need to not spoil the visual set pieces this time around, because then there's not much with which to surprise the audience during the actual movie.

That's why the marketing has been so 'low-key', if you will. Does that make sense?
lynchfan89 wrote:Theaters apparently have access to the trailer right now:

https://twitter.com/StylesMovieNews/sta ... 7550416897

Someone who works at a theater please leak it! I really don't want to pay to see that pile of garbage GOTG.
That's just a fellow fan speculating.

Theater owners aren't going to leak it, they have so much to lose for so little gain...
Last edited by Oku on May 4th, 2017, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okungnyo wrote:
Bacon wrote:It's quite odd to me considering how almost every piece of footage released looks brilliant. :wtf:

Nothing they've done has peaked my interest or others' interest and trailer 2 is cut very oddly. Pacing is kind of all over the place. I get the sense that the marketers are either struggling with what they're able to show or they don't know how to edit together what they have to provide a plot background to the audience.

My guess is that Mr. Nolan is being stricter than usual about what the marketing team is allowed to show in the trailers, because Dunkirk will be more reliant on visuals than any of his previous films.

Inception and Interstellar could afford to spoil the visual set pieces (a city folding on itself and the giant waves) in their trailers, because they had their mind-bending plots on which to fall back.

But Dunkirk is a traditional story with a comparatively simple story, so Mr. Nolan is aware of the need to not spoil the visual set pieces this time around, because then there's not much with which to surprise the audience during the actual movie.

That's why the marketing has been so 'low-key', if you will. Does that make sense?

Someone who works at a theater please leak it! I really don't want to pay to see that pile of garbage GOTG.

Theater owners aren't going to leak it, they have so much to lose for so little gain...
People who work at theaters have leaked trailers before. The Dark Knight teaser leak from a theater owner was one of my most memorable. :D

Oku
lynchfan89 wrote:
okungnyo wrote:

People who work at theaters have leaked trailers before. The Dark Knight teaser leak from a theater owner was one of my most memorable. :D
The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises?

Anyway, those two were mega-hype-level film among the general populace, so there was a pretty good chance of a theater owner being a hardcore Batman fan and deciding to risk his/her job to leak it.

Dunkirk isn't at that hype level, and its hardcore fanbase (i.e. the ones willing to risk their jobs to leak) is smaller, which makes the chances that it overlaps with the population of theater owners even smaller, which significantly reduces the chances of a leak.

And I imagine trailer security has considerably evolved and tightened since then.

The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises?

Anyway, those two were mega-hype-level film among the general populace, so there was a pretty good chance of a theater owner being a hardcore Batman fan and deciding to risk his/her job to leak it.

Dunkirk isn't at that hype level, and its hardcore fanbase (i.e. the ones willing to risk their jobs to leak) is smaller, which makes the chances that it overlaps with the population of theater owners even smaller, which significantly reduces the chances of a leak.

And I imagine trailer security has considerably evolved and tightened since then.
The Dunkrik teaser and mostly all were leaked Thursday afternoon/evening.

Whoiam wrote:
ACR7 wrote:Have they started screening yet? Someone has tweeted about it.

https://twitter.com/LanceHardy_/status/ ... 6598500352
"Don't expect a ton of new footage if you saw the prologue tho"

:thumbdown:
maybe that's good, lots of restraint. the question is is how they cut it and if they manage the replicate the tension and pacing of the prologue....which ended up selling the film a lot better than the December trailer.

Didnt mean to double post.
Last edited by Bacon on May 4th, 2017, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.