IMAX Prologue

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Reaveybeach wrote:About the cockpit shots. I could see the IMAX cameras attached to the Spitfires and Stukas flying past us. The cameras were sometimes facing inwards and sometimes outwards. I think there are definitely actors in some legit flying planes in Dunkirk. No idea if there were in the prologue though.
The Stukas which were used on the shooting were RC models, because there isn't any flying Stuka today. The German plane was a Hispano Buchon, a plane whose design is based on the Messerchmitt Bf109.

Jack Lowden was filmed inside a Yak 52, a two-seater plane transformed in Spitfire. He sat on the front seat with the actual pilot behind him. They flew both over Dunkirk and IJsselmeer.
Last edited by YFR3 on December 17th, 2016, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

***Can someone PM link please. Would like to watch again. Cheers.***

I saw the prologue last night on an IMAX 70mm film dome. The visual symmetry was terrific, especially for the airplane sequence. Full immersion, in the moment cinema, which is what I adore most about Nolan films. My entire audience felt the white knuckle tension, with the only reaction being gasps in unison on the last shot of hardy in the plane.

This film will print money in any true IMAX environment.

My only gripe was the one/two quick shots that were non-IMAX changed the aspect ratio. Was really hoping the sequences would all be planned and shot so the cross cutting never changed the ASR, like with TDKR and Interstellar. When you see the shots, i don't understand why they weren't also shot in IMAX. They were both wide shots. I'd rather they be cut out. The ASR changes seriously disrupt flow/immersion experience.

Minor gripe but otherwise wonderful preview of the cinematic experience coming this summer.

Shady1 wrote:I know a lot of people seemed to not hear/understand the conversations surrounding the Moonstone scenes so I have done my best to narrate a bit here and hopefully fill in the gaps.

I'm not claiming this is 100% accurate, but I think it's very close
Narration for the scenes with the Moonstone

Tom C – as Barry looks questioningly at the back of some naval officers, Tom C explains why they were there, “the Navy’s requisitioned her – be back in an hour” (referring to the Moonstone) “but dad wants us to be ready before then”
= it’s pretty clear to me that Rylance is the father of Tom Carney as well as Barry K’s character

Tom C – talking to Barry again “They’ve told us to strip her (the Moonstone) and load those life jackets, some men across the channel at Dunkirk need taking on”

Barry K looks at the life jackets and says questioningly “some men?”

Cuts to a few other scenes, then back to the Moonstone where it shows Tom C gathering life jackets onto the boat

Mark Rylance steps out the door quickly, watching what Barry K is doing (but you don’t see who Rylance is talking to) and says “And the other stern line, George” (We learn that Barry K’s character’s name is George)

Barry K (George), bends to untie the Moonstone from the mooring as he asks Rylance “Why ain’t you waiting on the Navy” (he was expecting Rylance to wait for the Navy to board the Moonstone before shoving off, as Tom C had previously told him they were supposed to be ready to go in an hour)

Rylance explains “They’ve asked for the Moonstone, they’ll have her….and their captain” (in other words, Rylance could have just let the Navy men take the Moonstone for the rescue mission, but instead HE chose to captain his own ship and not wait for the naval officers to take her out)

Tom C hops on board and says “and his son” (enthusiastically joining his father on the Moonstone for come what may)

Rylance says “thanks for the help George”, expecting Barry K to walk away, but instead George hops on board

Tom C says to George “What are you doing? You do know where we’re going?”
Hope it helps with some of the confusion
It does, thank you!

Shady1 wrote:I know a lot of people seemed to not hear/understand the conversations surrounding the Moonstone scenes so I have done my best to narrate a bit here and hopefully fill in the gaps.

[...]
Thank you. Hope you don't mind I posted it (in a spoiler) on IMDb for someone who was asking and credited you.

dormouse7 wrote:

[...]
Thank you. Hope you don't mind I posted it (in a spoiler) on IMDb for someone who was asking and credited you.
Not at all, thanks

Wait. Which two shots were 65mm? Thought it was IMAX all throughout

Would anyone kindly PM me the link please? ! :angel:

I've been checking this forum a lot lately and I've finally created an account.

I was planning to go see Rogue One in IMAX 3D (that's the only option I have) and when I knew about the prologue I got really excited and then came the list of locations and the theater I was planning to go to wasn't included :thumbdown:
It makes sense if it's about money and popularity. I've been there 3 times and it's not as popular or crowded as other theaters.

M88
I'm begging you guys ... please send me a PM of the Prologue.

The Link died :(.. if someone can PM, I would love it! Thanks in advance!

The only CGI in this film