IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
AhmadAli95 wrote:Oh yeah I got it. I just mean they will figure out how to handle the whole process of switching between formats/using DATC. It's not my job to worry about this stuff :) It still is a bummer that a compromise has to be made.

Edit: is 35mm really that bad?
35mm prints are usually under 2K resolution. For Dunkirk it doesn't even make sense to watch a 35mm print considering the whole movie was shot 65mm (mostly in IMAX 15/70). So even if you put it on par with 2K standard Digital, still there are far better choices in the list I made.

@Michaelf2225 There seems to be a lot of variables that affect a 35mm screening compared to the "perfect every single time" digital 2K. I think in this argument, you both are right :D

@MisterXDTV I think I read stuff here about the process of making a 35mm print so I do understand what you're saying. I think If I had access to a 35mm screening of Dunkirk, I'd go just for the sake of it. To experience it in a different format. But yeah 70mm seems to be the optimal option.
I know I probably bombarded you with questions, but why would they use such lossy audio formats for 35mm & 70mm?

AhmadAli95 wrote:@Michaelf2225 There seems to be a lot of variables that affect a 35mm screening compared to the "perfect every single time" digital 2K. I think in this argument, you both are right :D

@MisterXDTV I think I read stuff here about the process of making a 35mm print so I do understand what you're saying. I think If I had access to a 35mm screening of Dunkirk, I'd go just for the sake of it. To experience it in a different format. But yeah 70mm seems to be the optimal option.
I know I probably bombarded you with questions, but why would they use such lossy audio formats for 35mm & 70mm?
There's no choice: film projection audio is old technology and nobody "updated the system". Film projection digital audio is stuck in 1992-1993 when Dolby Digital and Datasat were created. And like IMAX DTAC, those systems are the only available that can run in sync with the film print itself....

Only with digital projection, we got uncompressed (PCM) audio....

It matters what it was shot on. A film entirely shot on 65mm will look better on a 35mm print than a 35mm shot film. Same goes for blu-ray. Entirely shot on 65mm will look better in 1080p than a film shot in 35mm.

Nomis wrote:It matters what it was shot on. A film entirely shot on 65mm will look better on a 35mm print than a 35mm shot film. Same goes for blu-ray. Entirely shot on 65mm will look better in 1080p than a film shot in 35mm.
Yes, but for a 65mm shot film, 35mm is still a huge bottleneck compared to 4K Digital, 4K Laser Digital, or 65mm film....

Tickets goes on sale Friday. Sweet Jesus! 70MM + IMAX :gonf:

MyCocaine wrote:Image

Tickets goes on sale Friday. Sweet Jesus! 70MM + IMAX :gonf:
Imperial Copenaghen is standard 5/70 film, not IMAX....
Last edited by MisterXDTV on July 5th, 2017, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

For any Florida peeps doing 4K Laser at AutoNation IMAX... How do you get priority seating?

MisterXDTV wrote:Imperial Copenaghen is standard 5/70 film, not IMAX....
Don't lecture me.

Copenhagen both has 70mm at Imperial and IMAX at Cinemaxx.

Also, why don't you fuck off with those condescending commas.

MyCocaine wrote:
MisterXDTV wrote:Imperial Copenaghen is standard 5/70 film, not IMAX....
Don't lecture me.

Copenhagen both has 70mm at Imperial and IMAX at Cinemaxx.

Also, why don't you fuck off with those condescending commas.
Calm down, yo