IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
What is the difference between 15/70mm IMAX and 70mm IMAX? Is one of the formats better?

tafnf wrote:What is the difference between 15/70mm IMAX and 70mm IMAX? Is one of the formats better?
70mm IMAX is better than regular 70mm. Both film formats are 70mm wide, but regular 70mm is 5 perforations tall and IMAX 70mm is 15 perforations but placed horizontally because it's vertical length is too high. So IMAX 70mm is much taller, and is more of a square as opposed to a narrow rectangle.
Last edited by Geoffrey on July 12th, 2017, 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

tafnf wrote:What is the difference between 15/70mm IMAX and 70mm IMAX? Is one of the formats better?
15/70mm IMAX and 70mm IMAX are the same exact thing. If you say 70mm IMAX you mean 15/70 and vice versa.
5/70 on the other hand is different. Which one is better? Well, the size of 15/70 is bigger and that means more resolution. Dunkirk was shot mostly on 15/70 so seeing on that format means you'll see more of the image on top and bottom.

Warner Brothers, on the http://tickets.dunkirkmovie.com/ tickets site is pushing all film formats as the way to see Dunkirk - 70mm IMAX, 70mm, 35mm (depending on what's available in the map area it's displaying).

Here is the difference in the formats, using a frame of Dunkirk:

dormouse7 wrote:
The Taxman wrote:Tickets are back on sale for the Dunkirk IMAX 70mm experience at King of Prussia, folks !! :gonf: :gonf: :gonf:
YAY!!! My tickets have a showing again!
Saw this last night. Very happy!

When the showings got pulled, I had just printed out a work copy of my tickets. I had a meltdown at work (which was OK because my husband and I share an office, but he was trying to get work done while I was making a fuss and banging my head on the desk). I am so happy the showings are back up.

dormouse7 wrote:When the showings got pulled, I had just printed out a work copy of my tickets. I had a meltdown at work (which was OK because my husband and I share an office, but he was trying to get work done while I was making a fuss and banging my head on the desk). I am so happy the showings are back up.
KOP has also added times for opening night on the 20th. Keeping my fingers crossed until the credits roll that there's no more sudden projector issues.

MisterXDTV wrote:Rec. 2020 is just a container, movies are made with DCI P3 color space and Dunkirk won't even have an Atmos mix according to Dolby.
Movies release in Dolby Vision has a dedicated REC.2020 Dolby Vision color grading.
You're right about the abscence of Atmos mix, this is really the first time ever other than "Timm Thaler", what a pity, and a very strange thing.

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:When the showings got pulled, I had just printed out a work copy of my tickets. I had a meltdown at work (which was OK because my husband and I share an office, but he was trying to get work done while I was making a fuss and banging my head on the desk). I am so happy the showings are back up.
Actual meltdown, or humorous exaggeration?

You were actually banging your head on your desk??