IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It surprises me that they are pushing 70mm to the point where the dunkirkmovie ticket page doesn't even offer (at least for me) any formats other than 70mm and IMAX 70mm. No other cinema markers are selectable.

When I bought my backup tickets via Fandango at a local cinema (Downingtown Regal, in case King of Prussia 70mm IMAX falls through), for backup I chose the first evening showing on July 20 (standard showing since it's not on my local cinema's IMAX screen) and not a single seat had yet been sold. That really surprised me.

Could Dunkirk be pushing 70mm to the point where they are discouraging people from seeing the film in any other format?

dormouse7 wrote:It surprises me that they are pushing 70mm to the point where the dunkirkmovie ticket page doesn't even offer (at least for me) any formats other than 70mm and IMAX 70mm. No other cinema markers are selectable.

When I bought my backup tickets via Fandango at a local cinema (Downingtown Regal, in case King of Prussia 70mm IMAX falls through), for backup I chose the first evening showing on July 20 (standard showing since it's not on my local cinema's IMAX screen) and not a single seat had yet been sold. That really surprised me.

Could Dunkirk be pushing 70mm to the point where they are discouraging people from seeing the film in any other format?
It's a tough sale to make to the public, regardless of format. The movie will have to sell itself on word of mouth after release. Either it will sink or it will swim depending on whether the general audience enjoys it or not.

A lot of people have no idea the movie even exists. On IMDB right now, the Jumanji movie that comes out in December is Top 5 in popularity while Dunkirk is 28th. Not very good for a movie that comes out in less than 2 weeks, especially since IMDB is known for having a lot of Nolan fans.

VFX rendered in 8K, holy fuck. They said they had 400 VFX shots.

Also very neat what process they had for the film. It'll look fucking fantastic.

Anyone here from Brisbane Australia know what the best cinema is for Dunkirk?We dont have imax here:(

mosh89 wrote:Anyone here from Brisbane Australia know what the best cinema is for Dunkirk?We dont have imax here:(
what do I say?
I have to wait until the Blu-Ray film is released
Because the movie will not be released in my country..
I have to wait three months :(

SydneyBlue120d wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:Although I have been to neither, wouldn't IMAX laser be the better option? Dual 4K laser projectors. Huge screens (including lieMAX) and a new 12 track audio system (includes overhead speakers too).
There is absolutely no question on both image and sound quality: With Dolby Cinema movies You get REC 2020 colors with HDR, and the Atmos object sound. I bet the AR will be fixed 2.35 or 2.20, as every movie should be.
Rec. 2020 is just a container, movies are made with DCI P3 color space and Dunkirk won't even have an Atmos mix according to Dolby.

There's no reason to choose Dolby Cinema vs an IMAX Film or IMAX Laser location for Dunkirk.... I would even prefer a standard 70mm print ...

Also the IMAX locations (even LieMAX) have the intended switching aspect ratio
Last edited by MisterXDTV on July 9th, 2017, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

cubb wrote:
mosh89 wrote:Anyone here from Brisbane Australia know what the best cinema is for Dunkirk?We dont have imax here:(
what do I say?
Wow which country?.That is unfortunate.

mosh89 wrote:
cubb wrote:
what do I say?
Wow which country?.That is unfortunate.
Iran..
I've waited months for the Interstellar too

Interestingly, even the blu-ray film will not be published here
I must download :(

Pray for me so I can wait
Last edited by cubb on July 9th, 2017, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

what do I say?
I have to wait three months :([/quote]

Wow which country?.That is unfortunate.[/quote]

Iran..
I've waited months for the Interstellar too

Interestingly, even the crystalline film will not be published here
I must download :(

Pray for me so I can wait[/quote]
Sorry man i hope you can see a quality blu ray soon.

Southbank Cineplex (Cinema 5) is your best bet seeing as it used to be an IMAX a bit more than a decade or so ago. If you want to see it in 5 perf 70 mm, Palace Centro is showing it in this format with advanced screenings on July 19. Or, if you're insane like BlairCo and I, you could fly down to Melbourne and see it in IMAX on 15/70 film or 4K Laser on the world's largest screen.