IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Reaveybeach wrote:Really? So you've been there? How is it? I'm seriously considering going, if the subs aren't an issue. So, how does it work with the subs? Don't you get huge word walls on screen with it displaying both French and Dutch? I was kind of worried it would cover much of the screen but if it's not an issue.
I've been there only once, for Rogue One, so that I could catch the prologue.
If you are worrying for the double subs, then trust me it's not an issue at all. Your eyes adjusted to it pretty fast.
And like Nomis said, I'd rather watch with double subs than French dubbed.
I'm planning on catching Alien Covenant in IMAX there too. So I'll give you a better answer about the size of subs.

Oku
Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Reaveybeach wrote:Really? So you've been there? How is it? I'm seriously considering going, if the subs aren't an issue. So, how does it work with the subs? Don't you get huge word walls on screen with it displaying both French and Dutch? I was kind of worried it would cover much of the screen but if it's not an issue.
If you are worrying for the double subs, then trust me it's not an issue at all. Your eyes adjusted to it pretty fast.
I'm planning on catching Alien Covenant in IMAX there too. So I'll give you a better answer about the size of subs.
Double subtitles??

Might as well cover the entire screen with a scrolling scrawl. :lol:

okungnyo wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Double subtitles??

Might as well cover the entire screen with a scrolling scrawl. :lol:
If the font size of the subs is decreases to such an extent that the subs take up as much screen space as single language subs I wouldn't have a problem with it honestly. If only Mahiya_Borden could snap a quick pic in the theatre so I could have an idea about how it looks..... 8-)

I'll do my best. But I reiterate, it's not a big deal.

I'm sure it won't be, thanks anyway for the info.

Does any Dutchie's btw know about Kinepolis in Utrecht Jaarbeurs?

Has a 26 x 10,9m screen, 4k laser projection and Dolby Atmos, it's just not IMAX.

Seems pretty nice, I wonder what would be lost with it not being an IMAX screen/room?

Well it says Laser Ultra so idk for sure if it's a 4K projection, depends on the film they show there was actually finished in 4K. Or something.

Either way, the sound is very good but like someone else told me in this thread, the Laser isn't specifically made for them but actually for IMAX, and it isn't IMAX.

The aspect ratio won't change during the film.

AhmadAli95 wrote:The aspect ratio won't change during the film.
Exactly, the Standard DCP file is cropped to 2.40:1 aspect ratio like a 35mm print would be..

These are the aspect ratio for Dunkirk:

- IMAX Film and Laser digital: 1.43:1/2.20:1 switch
- IMAX Digital: 1.90:1/2.20:1 switch
- 70mm film: fixed 2.20:1
- Standard digital and 35mm film: fixed 2.40:1

The aspect ratio switch in digital IMAX will even be less dramatic than before. 2.20:1 to 1.90:1 compared to 2.40:1 to 1.90:1. Even on Blu-ray.
This is where I'm planning to see it if the London trip doesn't work out. It's IMAX Laser but it's 1.90:1
It's in Dubai. What bothers me is that they had a real IMAX screen called Meydan IMAX and they played TDKR in 70mm. Apparently, they somehow managed to piss IMAX off and misuse the theater so they shut the place down.
Last edited by Tarssauce on April 7th, 2017, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Where do you guys think it would be best to watch this movie in Copenhagen?

Here:

or here: