IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Dobson wrote:
Reaveybeach wrote: Meanwhile in Brussels:

Kinepolis Brussel (IMAX 3D laser projection, next generation sound (Atmos), 27,6m x 19,3m).
This is the same as Cinestar IMAX Berlin, right?
I don't think there is any comparable screen in Europe right now to this new one in Brussell that opened in November last year. It's the biggest screen in Europe apparently.

Biggest IMAX screen+Laser+Atmos.

There are two deal breakers for me though:

1. Distance, (that's a total of almost 5 hours of driving to see a 2 hours movie for me).

2. Double language subtitles (Dutch/French). I've never seen a movie at the cinema before with bilingual subs, but I'd imagine it would annoy the f out of me as it would cover a huge part of the screen???

Reaveybeach wrote:
Dobson wrote:
Reaveybeach wrote: Meanwhile in Brussels:

Kinepolis Brussel (IMAX 3D laser projection, next generation sound (Atmos), 27,6m x 19,3m).
This is the same as Cinestar IMAX Berlin, right?
I don't think there is any comparable screen in Europe right now to this new one in Brussell that opened in November last year. It's the biggest screen in Europe apparently.

Biggest IMAX screen+Laser+Atmos.

There are two deal breakers for me though:

1. Distance, (that's a total of almost 5 hours of driving to see a 2 hours movie for me).

2. Double language subtitles (Dutch/French). I've never seen a movie at the cinema before with bilingual subs, but I'd imagine it would annoy the f out of me as it would cover a huge part of the screen???
Tbh you kind of get use to double subs. The Dutch subs are just above the French ones. At some point you don't even notice it.

I've seen the prologue in the new IMAX laser and I was so badly seated and the screen was so freaking huge. I'm planning on sitting a bit further from the screen so I could really grasp the whole thing.

Really? So you've been there? How is it? I'm seriously considering going, if the subs aren't an issue. So, how does it work with the subs? Don't you get huge word walls on screen with it displaying both French and Dutch? I was kind of worried it would cover much of the screen but if it's not an issue.

better double subs than french dubbed lol

Reaveybeach wrote:Really? So you've been there? How is it? I'm seriously considering going, if the subs aren't an issue. So, how does it work with the subs? Don't you get huge word walls on screen with it displaying both French and Dutch? I was kind of worried it would cover much of the screen but if it's not an issue.
I can't speak about Brussels since I have never been there but I have some experience with double subs.
I've been to the movies a couple of times in Thailand, and they have double subs there too (Thai & English) and it wasn't much of an distraction back there.

The subtitles font size is a bit smaller then normal iirc, they're pasted above one another, and once you zone out into the movie you mostly just forget about them.

Sysmatic wrote:
Reaveybeach wrote:Really? So you've been there? How is it? I'm seriously considering going, if the subs aren't an issue. So, how does it work with the subs? Don't you get huge word walls on screen with it displaying both French and Dutch? I was kind of worried it would cover much of the screen but if it's not an issue.
I can't speak about Brussels since I have never been there but I have some experience with double subs.
I've been to the movies a couple of times in Thailand, and they have double subs there too (Thai & English) and it wasn't much of an distraction back there.

The subtitles font size is a bit smaller then normal iirc, they're pasted above one another, and once you zone out into the movie you mostly just forget about them.
Good to know. Well then, maybe I'll just make it a weekend trip and just go for it.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:Any idea on the 12-track sound system in IMAX Laser theaters?
I saw the Prologue in IMAX Laser on a 62 foot tall museum IMAX that used to be 15/70 film projection and the new sound system was unbelievable. If the whole movie is like that in IMAX Laser, it will be an incredible experience.

By the way, I strongly encourage you to see it in IMAX Film or IMAX Laser if you can pull it off. I saw TDK, M:I4, and TDKR in IMAX Film...then got lazy and saw Interstellar in the 2k LieMAX format. Not even close to the same thing. Still regret not putting in special effort for Interstellar. 2k LieMAX is better than a regular theater, but true giant screen IMAX Film or IMAX Laser is the ultimate movie experience. Don't cheat yourself if you are able to pull it off.
I truly hope I can see it in 70mm IMAX! I went to the only movie theater in my country (I know :X ) which is a 1570 IMAX Dome. Too bad it only plays IMAX documentaries. but god look at this sexiness!

what do you mean you have one movie theater in your country?

If only Omniversum would just finally rebuild the damn place and make it a normal IMAX theater. That place has been virtually the same for 20something years now.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:what do you mean you have one movie theater in your country?
I was doomed to be born in a country that has a ban on movie theaters. The only way I could see a movie on the big screen is to travel to another country. It's really really stupid!
Reaveybeach wrote:If only Omniversum would just finally rebuild the damn place and make it a normal IMAX theater. That place has been virtually the same for 20something years now.
I wish they would do the same to this place. It is placed in a science center. I feel like it's such a waste. The projector is installed. If only they would rebuild the theater and install a huge square screen and get some get 70mm prints of Interstellar and Dunkirk!