IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Aha, I don't know about Brussels but there are two IMAX Laser screens around me which are probably 1.9:1 because they are located in malls. I've seen some photos of one of the theater and it's definitely not 1.43.

The thing is, IMAX doesn't own the movie. It was filmed with IMAX cameras but that doesn't mean they decide for other exhibition companies. I don't know about the terms of the engagement between WB, Nolan and IMAX, but for example: BvS. Sequences were shot in IMAX. They made 70mm prints. It was shown in IMAX Laser. It had an ATMOS soundtrack. It was also shown in Dolby Vision cinemas.

So I guess the main reason why we probably won't get anything more than 5.1 is because that's what Nolan wants. I just think that it would be cool if he considers ATMOS or at least the IMAX 12-track system.

I've been to two Dolby Cinema showings (so Dolby Vision+Dolby Atmos) and I honestly prefer the sheer giant volume of IMAX theatres than Atmos. The subwoofers in IMAX theatres are gigantic, it makes the seats tremble as if you're in Star Tours, Disney Land (imagine the sound when those Spitfires fly by). Atmos is *fantastic* IF the soundmix makes use of it. A good example are Atmos Demo Discs which have incredibly atmospheric (no pun intentioned) sound mixes. I was not impressed with The Force Awakens and Rogue One's Atmos mixes. It sounded good, better than regular showings but it wasn't better than an IMAX sound system.

AhmadAli95 wrote:Aha, I don't know about Brussels but there are two IMAX Laser screens around me which are probably 1.9:1 because they are located in malls. I've seen some photos of one of the theater and it's definitely not 1.43.

The thing is, IMAX doesn't own the movie. It was filmed with IMAX cameras but that doesn't mean they decide for other exhibition companies. I don't know about the terms of the engagement between WB, Nolan and IMAX, but for example: BvS. Sequences were shot in IMAX. They made 70mm prints. It was shown in IMAX Laser. It had an ATMOS soundtrack. It was also shown in Dolby Vision cinemas.

So I guess the main reason why we probably won't get anything more than 5.1 is because that's what Nolan wants. I just think that it would be cool if he considers ATMOS or at least the IMAX 12-track system.
Some screens are between 1.43:1 and 1.90:1 like Empire Leicester Square in London that is 1.69:1. In that case the movie is projected in 1.43:1 with masking on the sides to make it fit the screen. The general rule for IMAX laser is that a 400 square meters screen or just around that in required at least. LieMax usually is about 200 square meters instead with 1.90:1 aspect ratio

I am absolutely sure that Nolan has a commercial deal in place with IMAX Corp to use those huge IMAX film cameras that are not exactly cheap. No way IMAX would allow a Dolby Cinema release for this movie.

MisterXDTV wrote:
jacobj wrote:
Thankyou so much for al this information :D :D .
Now just one question, look i don't know very much about Imax.
I wanna see Dunkirk In London because you can see there the aspect ratios shifting. In the Netherlands you don't see that.
So my question, do you think your going to see the shifting aspect in Brussels ? Because you said Brussels is Laser. And BFI is film.
Yes, IMAX Laser uses the same aspect ratio as IMAX film: 1.43:1 full-screen for IMAX scenes
Thankyou so much, you made my day :D :gonf:

I hope the liemax theaters in my country switch over to Laser

would be nice if they get that going before Dunkirk comes out but I think those chances are slim

Oku
Nomis wrote:I hope the liemax theaters in my country switch over to Laser

would be nice if they get that going before Dunkirk comes out but I think those chances are slim
Probably. If they haven't started construction by now, chances are slim to none. :lol:

I-I mean :cry:

You from the Netherlands too? lol

I think I'm going to contact them soon, hope they are finally going to make the switch to Laser.

Oku
Nomis wrote:You from the Netherlands too? lol

I think I'm going to contact them soon, hope they are finally going to make the switch to Laser.
No, no, I'm not from the Netherlands. I just didn't want to seem like I was laughing at your misfortune!

Good luck, I hope you hear good news from them.

oh lol

thanks

Nomis wrote:You from the Netherlands too? lol

Well, you could make a trip to Belgium I think for the IMAX laser in Brussels, I would do that if I were you.

I don't think the IMAX screens in the Netherlands are big enough for a laser switch, they are about 200 square meters compared to Brussels 530 square meters