Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Calm the fuck down people.

Emoji hasn't won the weekend. It will have a terrible WOM so let's save the meltdowns for later.

If it does win it hardly matters. Dunkirk will still have grossed over $100 domestically in 10 days.

Bacon wrote:Pixar still makes Cars sequels. Nobody wants them, they don't get good reviews, but parents still take their kids to see them and so the studio milks the audience like cattle. I don't blame the studios for making profit. I blame the audiences for essentially sending the message to the studio that they'll eat up anything released.
The Emoji Movie might break even, but it's not gonna make a huge profit. That's my point.

It's not just about Dunkirk vs. The Emoji Movie. It's the fact that people are willing to pay their money to see shit like that but totally skip seeing movies that deserve to be seeing in theaters. It's really sad.

Also B for an animated movie is absolutely terrible. B+ is usually the worst a mainstream animated film might get on cinemascore and even that happens rarely.£

rbej wrote:Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $82,706,220 44.7%
+ Foreign: $102,500,000 55.3%
= Worldwide: $185,206,220
Holy crap, this is doing fantastic. Total gross should be at $200M by Sunday. After just 12 days.
Last edited by Innovator on July 29th, 2017, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have the suspicion a lot of people think this is just a typical Oscar bait period piece that they can catch up with on Netflix.

They're in for a big surprise.

Master Virgo wrote:Also B for an animated movie is absolutely terrible. B+ is usually the worst a mainstream animated film might get on cinemascore and even that happens rarely.£
Yes, and regardless animated movies primarily excite younger kids with colors and cool sounds. All of you are attacking parents for bringing their kids to see the only kids movie out right now. I get really uncomfortable with this weird kind of tribalist mentality thing, especially for stuff as trivial as entertainment that you'd start "attacking" the "opposition." It says a lot more about you and your maturity to regress to these kinds of commends than it does the parents and little kids going to see the Emoji Movie.

All the more troubling, is that the big news is Dunkirk is doing incredibly well. 100m+ domestic is almost certain, and it will hit 200m+ by the end of the weekend. It's going to be more front-loaded than Interstellar because it's summer, but this is a real achievement not just for the genre but for being such a weird, atypical movie.

But no. Let's criticize parents and children some more!

-Vader

Innovator wrote:

Holy crap, this is doing fantastic. Total gross should be at $200M by Sunday. After just 12 days.
More like $225m.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Innovator wrote:

More like $225m.
Right, I forgot about the OS numbers. This is doing much better than what I was expecting, I was thinking it would do similar numbers to Apes in its second week (If I'm remembering it correctly, Apes was at $175M last Sunday).

Dunkirk should be able to do at least $400M total, right?

Innovator wrote:
Dunkirk should be able to do at least $400M total, right?
Assuming it finishes around $175m domestic, I think WB's goal is probably around $435m worldwide. Through Friday, the domestic gross was 44.65% of the worldwide total. Last weekend that number was more like 47% domestic, so it is dropping as time goes by. They would probably like to see that domestic share drop down to around 40% when it's all said and done.

This weekend it's releasing in United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Kuwait, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay. Those new markets should help continue driving down the domestic percentage of the global gross. China, Japan, Italy, and Greece don't release until late August/September, so those should also help increase the overseas percentage of the global total.