Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I realize that none of you are happy about having Harry Styles in this movie, but he posted two instagram pictures today in support of what happened in Orlando, FL.

In only eight hours, he's got a combined total of 2 million likes from both those pics.

You can't deny the draw this kid has, whether you like him or not. Having him in this film can only add to the Box Office numbers which it would have already garnered due to it being a Nolan film.

Shady1 wrote:I realize that none of you are happy about having Harry Styles in this movie
Speak for yourself, that's my nigga

literally no one has complained about it

Shady1 wrote:I realize that none of you are happy about having Harry Styles in this movie
Are you sure?

Uuuuhhhhhh, poor perception pal.

Lol I am neutral about the casting. I trust Nolan.

Im excited to see him and I couldn't name a single 1 D song

There was more controversy over McConaughey getting cast in Interstellar lol

Oku
If I were WB, I'd be kind of sweating right now.

Inception had the success that it did because July 2010 was a wasteland: http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/july/2010

Despicable Me is the only big-budget movie on that list that wasn't terrible, and that's an animated children's movie.

It left people thirsty for a good live action blockbuster, and Inception filled that hunger perfectly.

Now compare that to 2017, in which we are getting a ton of gritty military-war movies: Rogue One (which may as well be 2017), Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, and War for the Planet of the Apes.

That may make the general audience sick and tired of the war setting, and write off Dunkirk based on genre alone.

Now onto the month of July 2017 itself: http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/july/2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming two weeks before, War for the Planet of the Apes a week before, and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets the same week.

This is insane and unprecedented competition.

Regular folks/families only have the time and money to see only one or two movies a month, if at all, so two of these four movies will bomb just because of their unfortunate release timing, even if they all turn out to be masterpieces.

Yes, there is Mr. Nolan's track record and Mr. Styles' fandom, but is that enough, when you are up against the most popular Marvel superhero at the height of the comic book craze, or a Planet of the Apes movie coming off of two strongly received movies?

"Rogue One (which may as well be 2017), Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, and War for the Planet of the Apes"

These are all fantastical stories though. I'm inclined to believe that a serious movie about a serious topic, if done well, will completely stand out among this cluster. I can't see how they're competition in the least.

okungnyo wrote:If I were WB, I'd be kind of sweating right now.

Inception had the success that it did because July 2010 was a wasteland: http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/july/2010

Despicable Me is the only big-budget movie on that list that wasn't terrible, and that's an animated children's movie.

It left people thirsty for a good live action blockbuster, and Inception filled that hunger perfectly.

Now compare that to 2017, in which we are getting a ton of gritty military-war movies: Rogue One (which may as well be 2017), Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, and War for the Planet of the Apes.

That may make the general audience sick and tired of the war setting, and write off Dunkirk based on genre alone.

Now onto the month of July 2017 itself: http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/july/2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming two weeks before, War for the Planet of the Apes a week before, and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets the same week.

This is insane and unprecedented competition.

Regular folks/families only have the time and money to see only one or two movies a month, if at all, so two of these four movies will bomb just because of their unfortunate release timing, even if they all turn out to be masterpieces.

Yes, there is Mr. Nolan's track record and Mr. Styles' fandom, but is that enough, when you are up against the most popular Marvel superhero at the height of the comic book craze, or a Planet of the Apes movie coming off of two strongly received movies?
I could see Valerian bombing, due to the unfamiliarity with general audiences.
Is Planet of the Apes that popular?

Spider-Man is heavy competition, but if it's released two weeks prior there will be a huge drop-off by then.

I'm sure Dunkirk will be a success due to Nolan's name alone. I think you underestimate how much weight his name carries. The trailer and poster for the movie have been trending very high. The hype will continue to build as the next trailer is released.