Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Yes, that's what Sir Patrick Stewart will be remembered about now, The Emoji Movie. His legacy and reputation are ruined...

OT: 200M domestic seems too good to be true and I don't want to get my hopes up... That'd be way above most AMERICAN war films.

okungnyo wrote:
Innovator wrote:I'm just surprised that Dunkirk's total gross (2 weeks) is bigger than Apes' (3 weeks). Apes deserved better, but at least it should do good in China.
It was too dreary for the younger crowd, and too un-serious (it is about talking apes at the end of the day) for the older crowd.
Wrong. Unless you mean "older crowd" is teenagers to mid-20's. Lots of older people in my showing and some of the people I know that love Planet of the Apes, Rise, and Dawn as much as I do are over the age of 30 lol

Also, you gotta be joking about Patrick Stewart having his legacy ruined. That man will not be remembered for this movie. He's a brilliant actor and an icon. This was the easiest money he ever spent.

Lionheart wrote:A final 200M in US and 500M WW (if it has a moderate success in China) would be amazing for the genre. It would really set Nolan as cinema's biggest modern brand (individually).
I think this reaching 400M is already (another) proof that Nolan is one of the biggest movie draws nowadays.

I'd love for Dunkirk to reach 500M so he could have 5 films in a row that reached that number, but it's unlikely unless China surprises.

I seen it today at 3pm in the UK and the cinema was pretty packed.

okungnyo wrote:
Innovator wrote:I'm just surprised that Dunkirk's total gross (2 weeks) is bigger than Apes' (3 weeks). Apes deserved better, but at least it should do good in China.
It was too dreary for the younger crowd, and too un-serious (it is about talking apes at the end of the day) for the older crowd.
That's not a sensical explanation because War has the same tone of Dawn, but Dawn grossed $700,000,000.

One of the best things about Dunkirk remaining on top of the box office is that The Emoji Movie will not be able to say "The #1 movie in America!".

Oku
Master Virgo wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:I cannot believe Patrick Stewart was desperate enough to play a poop character. Very sad to see a great actor stoop that low. :cry:
He knew what he was getting into and decided it was worth sacrificing his reputation and legacy for a quick buck.

:|

£
dunkirktrash wrote:Yes, that's what Sir Patrick Stewart will be remembered about now, The Emoji Movie. His legacy and reputation are ruined...

OT: 200M domestic seems too good to be true and I don't want to get my hopes up... That'd be way above most AMERICAN war films.
Bacon wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
Wrong. Unless you mean "older crowd" is teenagers to mid-20's. Lots of older people in my showing and some of the people I know that love Planet of the Apes, Rise, and Dawn as much as I do are over the age of 30 lol

Also, you gotta be joking about Patrick Stewart having his legacy ruined. That man will not be remembered for this movie. He's a brilliant actor and an icon. This was the easiest money he ever spent.
I'm not wrong, I'm just explaining why Apes is underperforming and suffering from such harsh drops.

It doesn't matter how much love it gets from people once they're in the theater; the problem is that it's not getting people in the theater.

Not only the dreary tone, but many are also citing the bait-and-switch marketing as a big reason in the film's poor word-of-mouth: the title of the film and the trailers promise a battle movie, an epic conclusion, while in actuality, the film is a small-scale, character-driven prison break movie.

And I'm not joking. The saying goes "You're only as good as your last movie", and there's only a finite amount of goodwill that goes around before the legacy of your past movies isn't enough to prop up your recent stinkers.

Obviously it hasn't gotten to that, but there are plenty of actors who put their artistic integrity first and refuse to star in cash grabs no matter how much they are offered.
Geoffrey wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
That's not a sensical explanation because War has the same tone of Dawn, but Dawn grossed $700,000,000.
Yes, it is.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes opened to a barren July, and it had zero competition.

Oh, so now it's about the amount of competition in the month?

You deflected to talking about the competition immediately because War For The Planet Of The Apes being too dreary for younger crowds and too silly for older crowds is nonsense. Otherwise Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes would have suffered from that too.

Oku
I didn't deflect anything, I just gave one reason, among of which there are several.

Competition is another.

It's not nonsense, it's the truth.

Dawn didn't suffer from that because it hit the jackpot in release date timing; if you wanted to watch a well-reviewed blockbuster in July 2014, you had no alternatives.

Look on this list and tell me what else there was to watch: https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/july/2014

Now compare that to July of this year, where if you want a fun blockbuster, you have Baby Driver, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Wonder Woman; and if you want a serious blockbuster, you have Dunkirk; and if you want a comedy, you have Girls Trip and The Big Sick.

Old people loved Planet of the Apes though. I feel like old people are a strong demographic there. The problem with War is there was no war.
They should've had a scene where Caesar drives a tank and slapped that right on the poster. And also make some kind of connexion to Heston to give something satisfying other than 'Caesar was a good ape'.