Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Eleni wrote:
Willem wrote:Dunkirk has a bigger domestic opening weekend than Interstellar. How is this even happening?
Nolan+Harry Styles power
Nope, it's because Interstellar was a "meh" movie according to critics and Dunkirk is a masterpiece according to critics.

Geoffrey wrote:
Eleni wrote:
Willem wrote:Dunkirk has a bigger domestic opening weekend than Interstellar. How is this even happening?
Nolan+Harry Styles power
Nope, it's because Interstellar was a "meh" movie according to critics and Dunkirk is a masterpiece according to critics.
That's too, but Harry Styles is playing a big part of this box office for sure too. I mean, One Direction movie has 15,8M$ opening weekend. The problem with one direction - it is always Front-Loaded. so, the second weekend will be interesting.

Eleni wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Eleni wrote: Nolan+Harry Styles power
That's too, but Harry Styles is playing a big part of this box office for sure too. I mean, One Direction movie has 15,8M$ opening weekend. The problem with one direction - it is always Front-Loaded. so, the second weekend will be interesting.
Not to mention more screenings (shorter film) and summer release.

Is it open everywhere yet?

Is this then only tracking for $400 million?

(that was my initial prediction, but I wanted to be wrong)

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Is it open everywhere yet?

Germany and a few others next week.

Overseas, the critically acclaimed film also impressed, earning $55.4 million from its first 46 markets and placing No. 1 everywhere for a global assault of $105.9 million.. The U.K., where Nolan is from, led with $12.4 million, followed by South Korea with $10.3 million.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ce=twitter

It actually passed the $100M mark worldwide, color me impressed. If I'm remembering it right, it's not much far behind Interstellar's OW numbers (which I *think* included more markets).

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Is it open everywhere yet?

No, assuming a 4 times multiplier, that's $420,000,000, and then considering the budget may be a good bit lower than $150,000,000 as The Hollywood Reported has said, that may be a fine result. It hasn't opened in China yet and it also has the possibility of doing better, or worse, than a 4 times multiplier.