Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote:Some quick Google searching (so this could be wrong) says that The Dark Knight's Oscar re-release added $52 million to its original gross of $952 million (which had been $512 million domestic and $440 million international), and helped it push past $1 billion.

So if Dunkirk manages to "scratch and claw" (as Benzilla so eloquently put it) to $190 million domestic, an Oscar re-release could help it push past $200 million domestic.
Yes this is quite possible.

Dunkirk will not make as much as a Batman movie on any rerelease :P

Won't this weekend be tough as the first weekend Dunkirk won't be on IMAX screens domestically? WB really pushed for people to see it in IMAX.

It left my 70mm IMAX theater after yesterday's showings, and I think really all around this area in any IMAX format. I really wanted to get in one more, but time was against me.

I'm telling myself that IMAX will give it at least one weekend come Oscar season, if not even just one showing. When that hits, I want to be there again.

All this being said, I really do feel kind of bad Besson never got Valerian into IMAX at all.

Warner Brothers will definitely re-release this in January during awards season. Wouldn't be surprised if they do it the weekend after Oscar nominations are announced, which I believe is what they did with The Dark Knight.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: All this being said, I really do feel kind of bad Besson never got Valerian into IMAX at all.
You mean domestically (US), right?
Valerian sabotaged Dunkirk at the theater I go to (foreign if not obvious). They replaced Dunkirk with Valerian on the 16th of August. Wish they split the screen. I'm really itching to see Dunkirk in IMAX (whatever format) one more time! I hope they do an international IMAX re-release.
Last edited by Tarssauce on August 29th, 2017, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote: All this being said, I really do feel kind of bad Besson never got Valerian into IMAX at all.
You mean domestically (US), right?
Valerian sabotaged Dunkirk at the theater I go to (foreign if not obvious). They replaced Dunkirk with Valerian on the 16th of August. Wish they split the screen. I'm really itching to see Dunkirk in IMAX (whatever format) one more time! I hope if they do an international IMAX re-release.
Yeah, I meant domestic. Didn't know it was showing anywhere in IMAX though.

Any official prediction about "Dunkirk in China"??.

@BoxOffice
DUNKIRK
$476K Monday
$172.9M Total

dormouse7 wrote:Won't this weekend be tough as the first weekend Dunkirk won't be on IMAX screens domestically? WB really pushed for people to see it in IMAX.
It already lost many IMAX shows to Apes and Wonder Woman in the last couple weeks. This weekend will be boosted by Labor Day holiday, no Game of Thrones on Sunday, and Houston area theaters might be open again after the hurricane problems last weekend.