Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MyCocaine wrote:Trying to create a negative spin on this success story. This place attracts a pathetic lot.
Wait, there's a negative spin on its b.o. success? Holy shit guys. :lol:

Dunkirk ain't Batman, open your eyes and learn how to compare the numbers accordingly.

A massive success, considering what it is and when it released.

Diwie Kiwie wrote:Why didn't Dunkirk earn more than it did? It was perfect.
Not really a fair question. How much were you expecting it to make. The highest grossing movie it's kind was Saving Private Ryan so Dunkirk exceeded what it should have/most thought it would make.

m4st4 wrote:Wait, there's a negative spin on its b.o. success? Holy shit guys. :lol:

Dunkirk ain't Batman, open your eyes and learn how to compare the numbers accordingly.

A massive success, considering what it is and when it released.
You should have seen the reviews thread, the film is the best reviewed wide release of the year and people were disappointed with the drop of 1% on tomatometer.

Personally if someone had told me how successful this film would turn out to be 3 months ago, when I was all nervous about everything, I would have most likely fainted out of joy.£

I mean, it's not hyperbole to say it's one of the best reviewed wide release movies of the last 20 years. We'll see how it stacks up at the end of the year on top tens and so on.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote: You should have seen the reviews thread, the film is the best reviewed wide release of the year and people were disappointed with the drop of 1% on tomatometer.

Personally if someone had told me how successful this film would turn out to be 3 months ago, when I was all nervous about everything, I would have most likely fainted out of joy.£
Pretty much this. I was a little nervous about this movie. I loved the trailers but I was more nervous because of the the outside non-Nolan fans reaction of the trailers 'being weak', 'what's the movie about', 'this movie looks like it doesn't make sense' crowd. How would the people who weren't excited for this movie were going to react to it.

bootsy wrote:
Not really a fair question. How much were you expecting it to make. The highest grossing movie it's kind was Saving Private Ryan so Dunkirk exceeded what it should have/most thought it would make.
Not expected. More like wanted. I wanted this to become a huge huge hit which it deserves.
MyCocaine wrote:Trying to create a negative spin on this success story. This place attracts a pathetic lot.
Not trying to create a negative spin. Loved this movie. Wanted it to earn more than all the other comicbook movies.
bootsy wrote:
I thought since it's nolan people would flock to the theatres. Saw it 5 times in cinema even though the tickets are super expensive.
Last edited by Master Virgo on September 25th, 2017, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Triple posting

Diwie Kiwie wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Not expected. More like wanted. I wanted this to become a huge huge hit which it deserves.
And it is a huge hit regardless.

And holy shit, stop triple posting.

Show yourself out.

Nobody cares about your criterias for success.

Dunkirk's BO numbers were incredible and unexpected.

The End.

It is a huge hit. Over 500m with a 100m budget for an experimental film in today’s microwave ready climate is nothing short of remarkable. It leads me back to what Kermode has always said about Nolan’s true filmmaking philosophy: Nolan says he’s a pessimist but he has such honest faith in his audience that he couldn’t be. He’s actually incredibly optimistic, hence why he seems to be exploring our species as a whole recently with Interstellar/Dunkirk and even TDKR.

£