Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $82,706,220 44.7%
+ Foreign: $102,500,000 55.3%
= Worldwide: $185,206,220

Sanchez wrote:Guys, I know it sucks that such a shitty movie can make money, but come on. Neither kids nor their parents care about the rating or the quality, and it literally has no competition this weekend. Blame the studios, not the consumers.
Well maybe I'm too pretentious for my own good.... but if the only family movie coming out was "The Emoji Movie," I'd probably just keep my kids home and introduce them to some Japanese animated film.

The only thing embarrassing thing in this thread is all of you complaining.

-Vader

nightfury93 wrote:
Sanchez wrote:Guys, I know it sucks that such a shitty movie can make money, but come on. Neither kids nor their parents care about the rating or the quality, and it literally has no competition this weekend. Blame the studios, not the consumers.
Well maybe I'm too pretentious for my own good.... but if the only family movie coming out was "The Emoji Movie," I'd probably just keep my kids home and introduce them to some Japanese animated film.
Then I'm pretty sure you're in the minority. There are plenty of parents in the world who doesn't give a damn about what their kids are interested in.

That overseas gross is great. It seems likely that the foreign numbers will reach $250-300M. As for the domestic take, it's looking to end anywhere from $170-190M. Any of these results would be fantastic, but anything over $350M is just icing on the cake, considering the low budget.

If people go watch these crap movies and they make a lot of money, I can't really blame the studios. Audiences should care about quality.
Vader182 wrote:The only thing embarrassing thing in this thread is all of you complaining.

-Vader
Seriously, why?

Dobson wrote: If people go watch these crap movies and they make a lot of money, I can't really blame the studios. Audiences should care about quality.
The Emoji Movie is gonna need some huge fucking legs to make "a lot of money". It's still possible for animation studios that's not Pixar to make good, original stories, even if their general audience swallows everything that comes their way (both literally and figuratively.

Pixar still makes Cars sequels. Nobody wants them, they don't get good reviews, but parents still take their kids to see them and so the studio milks the audience like cattle. I don't blame the studios for making profit. I blame the audiences for essentially sending the message to the studio that they'll eat up anything released.

Whichever way the domestic match ends, I fear the headlines will not be pretty.

Will it be Emoji Poops on Dunkirk or Dunkirk Steps on Poop?

Bacon wrote:Pixar still makes Cars sequels. Nobody wants them, they don't get good reviews, but parents still take their kids to see them and so the studio milks the audience like cattle. I don't blame the studios for making profit. I blame the audiences for essentially sending the message to the studio that they'll eat up anything released.
Well Cars 3 flopped big time. So hopefully that was the end of that.£