Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
RTH at Box Office Theory is saying $12.2m for Dunkirk and $9.5m for Emoji on Saturday. That would be over 50% increase for Dunkirk, which puts a $29+ million weekend in play. :D

But still very early. I would say it's probably a safe bet for $11.5m Saturday, which is still a great 43.75% increase from Friday. That would put it on pace for a $28+ million weekend. Good numbers all around.

Here is a good showdown I requested at Box Office Mojo. Main thing to watch is those daily percentages with Dunkirk compared to Star Trek Beyond and Rogue Nation. Interstellar is a tough comparison due to the release date in November, but the overall opening and total gross are good comparisons (50ish opening, 190ish total).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... kirksd.htm

Master Virgo wrote:This is the real list actually. (Adjusted for inflation)

£
So what place are we predicting it will end up at?

A bit above Inglorious Basterds if the third and fourth week don't have massive drops.

Five for sure. Could be 4 if it overperforms.

dunkirktrash wrote:A war film with no Americans, no blood, centred on a part of British history that Americans never learn, with no dialogue and no big names makes 50M opening weekend in America.

A Nolan fan: 'only 50M'

:lol: si, es cierto

The Special Juan wrote:
dunkirktrash wrote:A war film with no Americans, no blood, centred on a part of British history that Americans never learn, with no dialogue and no big names makes 50M opening weekend in America.

A Nolan fan: 'only 50M'

:lol: si, es cierto
Dunkirk takes Box Office by Storm with $55.4M No. 1 Spot for $105M+ Global opening... Not bad :clap: (Link: http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-mov ... 202134249/)

Oku
Carlangonz wrote:According to Deadline:

"Mexico grossed an estimated $444K on 1,146 screens, ranking second only behind Fox’s debut title War for the Planet of the Apes. The Imax results have tripled the market average. The total gross so far is $754K"

Here in Mexico can make $2M OW, the IMAX performance is great, i'm seeing it on wednesday in IMAX and PS are strong.
What does "PS" mean?
dunkirktrash wrote:If Emoji wins the weekend, it's not embarrassing for Dunkirk, it's embarrassing for Atomic Blonde, lbr here. Dunkirk is performing just fine. Look at the audience score in Atomic Blonde. 68% and it's been out for a day... and this shouldn't be a 'divisive' film for the audience. It's an action-packed film with Charlize Theron and James McAvoy.
What does "ibr" mean?
nightfury93 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:It wouldn't have been embarrassing for Dunkirk even if it was its opening weekend and Emoji's second one. It would be good to see Dunkirk win the weekend so that it can attract even more attention, and it most likely will, but let's not make such a big deal of things.

Some of the members here were so frustrated when Big Hero 6 won the opening weekend over Interstellar, but at the end of the day Interstellar outperformed Big Hero 6 on its global gross. It did better than a 3D family film from Marvel and Disney with a much better tomatometer and cinemascore and half its runtime, and people here just wasted their times, being upset over nothing.£
>be me
>massive Nolan fan and How to Train Your Dragon fan
>same movie that beats Interstellar in week 1 beats Dragons for the Oscar

Haven't seen Big Hero 6 and no plans to...but I still have a massive grudge against it :lol:
:lol:
Master Virgo wrote:Song of the Sea and Kaguya were more deserving than both anyway. But yes Dragon was considerably better than Big Hero, no doubt.£
If those films had the Disney logo stamped on them, they would have won.
redfirebird2008 wrote:Here is a good showdown I requested at Box Office Mojo. Main thing to watch is those daily percentages with Dunkirk compared to Star Trek Beyond and Rogue Nation. Interstellar is a tough comparison due to the release date in November, but the overall opening and total gross are good comparisons (50ish opening, 190ish total).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... kirksd.htm
I didn't know you could request things on Box Office Mojo, how? :o

Oku
Also, what does 'comps' mean? Comparisons?

And it would be nice if they allowed you to pick and choose and compare any movies that you want, instead of having to request it.