Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It made 1.31M on Monday. Rogue Nation is 3.8M ahead. C'mon TARS :D

MyCocaine wrote:Hacksaw Ridge made $62 million in China.

Dunkirk surpassed Hacksaw Ridge in every other makert.

Total Gross - $475-525M (depends on China)
It might very well do great business in China, but that analogy is a tad flawed. Fury also did better than Hacksaw Ridge in pretty much all the other markets but it only made a third of Hacksaw's gross in China (Also did worse in Hong Kong and Taiwan). And those two films had B Pitty and Spider-Man as their leads. There are no such draws in Dunkirk. Far East's market can hardly be predicted by looking at the other markets' numbers. Xander Cage and Resident Evil did shit business everywhere but made around 160 mil in China each.£

Master Virgo wrote: Hopefully this film's success won't result into a sudden surge of lame blockbuster war films. Nolan is creating waves in mainstream cinema for some time, but Hollywood usually fucks them up pretty quickly.£
Is Dunkirk even big enough to start a surge, though? I mean, it's a success, but hardly a blowout.

Domestic Tuesday estimate is $1.84 million, which is down only 33% from last Tuesday. Total domestic gross is now $156.33 million.

I've noticed on Twitter that similar to Nolan Fans, quite a few Harry fans are seeing the film 3-4 times, some as high as 7 times.

I need to go for #3 - I feel like a slacker.

redfirebird2008 wrote:Domestic Tuesday estimate is $1.84 million, which is down only 33% from last Tuesday. Total domestic gross is now $156.33 million.
C'mon TAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS

We just need one-two great weekends and this steady weekdays will make up for the rest.

Master Virgo wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:Hacksaw Ridge made $62 million in China.

Dunkirk surpassed Hacksaw Ridge in every other makert.

Total Gross - $475-525M (depends on China)
It might very well do great business in China, but that analogy is a tad flawed. Fury also did better than Hacksaw Ridge in pretty much all the other markets but it only made a third of Hacksaw's gross in China (Also did worse in Hong Kong and Taiwan). And those two films had B Pitty and Spider-Man as their leads. There are no such draws in Dunkirk. Far East's market can hardly be predicted by looking at the other markets' numbers. Xander Cage and Resident Evil did shit business everywhere but made around 160 mil in China each.£
I completely agree with Mr. Master Virgo on this. Btw, Mr. Master Virgo, you should never discount your analytical prowess. Data are all there for everyone to see. But choosing which data to look at is an entirely different matter. Your arguments using numbers by Xander Cage & Resident Evil or the previous comparison between Interstellar and Iron Man 3 are very unique and highly convincing.

Back to the topic, I saw Dunkirk myself 2 weeks ago. It was a fine movie but I don't think it will play well with casual moviegoers in Asia. Btw, I'm Vietnamese so to some extent, I can speak for the general movie taste in my region. And Dunkirk's performance in South Korea can attest to that. It opened impressively to a brilliant 10.3 mil USD, being carried by Mr. Nolan's considerable goodwill in the country after Interstellar. Then it faded away shockingly quickly and will finish off with a mere 22- 23 mil USD which is extremely front loaded.

The reason why Interstellar did so well in China and South Korea is it's not just a pure scifi flick. Audience were enthralled by its father-daughter story and all the tears & emotions involved. Family matters with an emotional heart resonate well with us Asians.

In general, we like movies with stories punctuated with twists & turns, grand, explosive scenes and heavy action. This is what, I think, made Hacksaw Ridge a respectable success in China. The loud fight sequences, the celebration of heroism, the conventional and occasionally melodramatic plot lines underpin Hacksaw Ridge' success. These are also things I didn't see in Dunkirk which makes me wary of it's China prospect. Admittedly, our movie taste in Asia lags behind that in the West. I don't think most of us find films by Terrence Malik accessible for example.

The verdict: I'll view a $50 mil run in China as a success for Dunkirk. Anything above it is definitely a bonus. Whether it will be enough for Dunkirk to cross $500 mil worldwide, that is still hanging in the air.

Motui

i think it still can crank out another 35-55 mil here in NA..we'll see if it can kick it into another gear and make a marathon of it..if china don't dig drunkinkirk then oh well..there missing out baby..I think it'll hit 500 ww and will hit 200 dom..you can take it to the bank..japan's gonna love it..hahaha :lol:

Typical "I'm [insert minority] and represent my entire race so accurately!" Unless all the movies you like are box office successes in Asia, and all the ones you dislike are failures, your anecdote means nothing.