Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Neither of those are considered misfires when you consider the factors and expectations surrounding the films. Almost no one in the general public gave as much a shit about Batman anymore when Batman Begins came around due to the sour taste left in their mouths from the previous installment. Combine that with a lesser known director rebooting it and I think WB were pleased with the outcome. Especially since the villain wasn't very well known so it isn't like they could use that as a hook in marketing. It's BO take was on target for a reboot of a franchise that fell apart. And of course it's home video pull has been superb along with it being the catalyst for a billion dollar Hollywood-changing sequel.

The Prestige was a relatively quiet "small" film ($40 million budget and I would guess Chris came in under that as well) that much of the general audience didn't know about. There was marketing obviously, but it wasn't substantial. It's box office take was healthy relative to it's size and budget. Nothing great but fine. Now it's home video pull has been quite incredible with it's cult like rejuvenation in the following years.

So as of yet I'm not sure if Nolan has really had a disappointing box office take when you look at the expectations of said films. Maybe Insomnia?

LelekPL wrote: If it's rated R, which I doubt it will be, we might detract about 10-15 million from the domestic gross. An R-rating shouldn't influence the worldwide gross at all, though. Since both PG-13 and R-rated films, have a "15" category in other countries.
In which countries?

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
ChristNolan wrote:Neither of those are considered misfires when you consider the factors and expectations surrounding the films. Almost no one in the general public gave as much a shit about Batman anymore when Batman Begins came around due to the sour taste left in their mouths from the previous installment. Combine that with a lesser known director rebooting it and I think WB were pleased with the outcome. Especially since the villain wasn't very well known so it isn't like they could use that as a hook in marketing. It's BO take was on target for a reboot of a franchise that fell apart. And of course it's home video pull has been superb along with it being the catalyst for a billion dollar Hollywood-changing sequel.

The Prestige was a relatively quiet "small" film ($40 million budget and I would guess Chris came in under that as well) that much of the general audience didn't know about. There was marketing obviously, but it wasn't substantial. It's box office take was healthy relative to it's size and budget. Nothing great but fine. Now it's home video pull has been quite incredible with it's cult like rejuvenation in the following years.

So as of yet I'm not sure if Nolan has really had a disappointing box office take when you look at the expectations of said films. Maybe Insomnia?
Insomnia made over 100 million dollars worldwide and made more money than The Prestige. Nolan has yet to make a film that did bad at the box office.

The Prestige and Batman Begins didn't do terrible at the BO but they also didn't do good. Both either barely made a profit or didn't.

BB made 370 mil on a budget of 150 + about 50 mil of advertisement. About half of the money comes back to the studio, so it's possible that BB lost money or just barely got even. Still, considering how badly received Batman & Robin was, Batman being basically dead in the public consciousness at that time, and the really good legs and reviews the film had, I can believe that the studio was pretty happy with the result, even if they lost some money, because they had really good groundwork for the sequel.

The Prestige had a similar situation. It made 100 mil on a 40 mil budget + 10 mil on advertisement. Again, it barely broke even.
Last edited by LelekPL on June 6th, 2016, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobson wrote:
LelekPL wrote: If it's rated R, which I doubt it will be, we might detract about 10-15 million from the domestic gross. An R-rating shouldn't influence the worldwide gross at all, though. Since both PG-13 and R-rated films, have a "15" category in other countries.
In which countries?
I was just giving one example of category names in other countries. Naturally not every country has a "15" category name. But most countries don't differentiate between PG-13 and an R-rating. It will usually be the same rating unless it's a very hard R.

ChristNolan wrote:Neither of those are considered misfires when you consider the factors and expectations surrounding the films. Almost no one in the general public gave as much a shit about Batman anymore when Batman Begins came around due to the sour taste left in their mouths from the previous installment. Combine that with a lesser known director rebooting it and I think WB were pleased with the outcome. Especially since the villain wasn't very well known so it isn't like they could use that as a hook in marketing. It's BO take was on target for a reboot of a franchise that fell apart. And of course it's home video pull has been superb along with it being the catalyst for a billion dollar Hollywood-changing sequel.

The Prestige definitely has a decent size cult following. Back when I first became a fan of Nolan I always thought it was a very niche thing but surprisingly I see a lot of people gushing of The Prestige.

I'm telling y'allll, this is gonna be a major event. Predicting a 75 mil opening weekend right now.

I have no idea how it will perform outside Europe but here it will be a giant event.

I'm sure the Americans and Chinese can be lured into the cinema with promise of great spectacle.

Of course there's the danger of losing out on the valuable cockney population of East End by not casting Caine

Well fortunately it's being released during Nolan season (late July).

I could certainly see it being another Inception in terms of box office, if only because of the kind of audiences the cast will bring.