Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Master Virgo wrote:That's two times Hacksaw's opening.£
Has a high chance to drop, though considering China's current release schedule.

New final tally's, Virgo?

Your analysis has been much enjoyed.

-Vader

DUNKIRK
$280M Overseas Total
$458.8M Global Total
#dunkirk

500M$ in two next weeks??.

WB must be over the moon right now. Specially because they survived one hell of a busy summer.
At this rate Nolan is on Platinum level. Here's to another 2-3 years until his next project. :gonf:

Vader182 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:That's two times Hacksaw's opening.£
Has a high chance to drop, though considering China's current release schedule.

New final tally's, Virgo?

Your analysis has been much enjoyed.

-Vader
Thanks. Well from the look of things, the 430-470 estimation was quite a bit off. Italy seems to be a 12-15 mil type of deal now, since the film is performing very similarly to Interstellar in there.

But with China, here's the list of some of the foreign live action films that have opened up with similar numbers in the past few years.

The Revenant (OW: 31 mil) - (Total: 59 mil)
Trek Beyond (OW: 30 mil) - (Total: 65 mil)
Rogue One (OW: 30 mil) - (Total: 69 mil)
Smaug (OW: 33 mil) - (Total: 75 mil)
Edge of Tomorrow (OW: 26 mil) - (Total: 66 mil)
Skyfall (OW: 34 mil) - (Total: 59 mil)
The Martian (OW: 34 mil) - (Total: 95 mil)
Covenant (OW: 28 mil) - (Total: 46 mil)

So all in all I think it's reasonable to expect another 35-45 from China. Add to that the possible 15-20 mil that the film will most likely make in US, another 10 mil from Italy and about 15-25 more from the other markets excluding Japan, and we should have anywhere between 530-570 mil. We'll see how much Japan will add to that.

In short, never be too reserved when you're estimating the BO performance of a Nolan film, lol.£

I know I've been a bit too pessimistic before Dunkirk's release on its BO potential, but the movie doing over $530M worldwide is unrealistic, imo (I'd like to proven wrong though). China is probably adding another $20M-$30M max. since the movie has crazy competition coming up (Spider-Man and Apes), and Dunkirk will probably just barely get to $185M-$190M domestic.

Since Dunkirk is in its last legs everywhere excluding the few territories it has just been released in, my take is that the final gross will be between $500M and $510M.

Still, one hell of an accomplishment, and I couldn't be more satisfied that it's most likely crossing the $500M mark. From what I've read (don't remember if it was here or in another forum), if/when that happens Nolan will become the first director to have released 5 +$500M movies in a row.

@BoxOffice
#Dunkirk grossed an estimated $5.63M over the 4-day weekend. 46-Day total is $180.26M.

i mean, depending on how much longer it gets theater play, and with an oscar run rerelease, this still has the potential for 200 mil domestic, no?

The domestic Sunday ended up a lot better than WB expected. Good to see.

great numbers this long weekend :clap: ..I think it can hit 190 as for 200 sheesh it'll be tough..will see how this week and next weekend play out for holds and we will get a better idea..I can see it playing through September but it will start to lose more screens every week..I could see it lasting until mid October maybe..its had great WOM..I've had family members and friends that are usually not big nolan fans, well as compared to me, have seen it twice and are ready to see it a third time when we finally get it in true 70 mm imax at our biggest theater which starts at the end of September. :D :twothumbsup: