Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Seems like Hacksaw Ridge was indeed a nice comparison :D Let's see how Saturday and Sunday pans out, and if it goes according to expectations, 500M becomes more and more a reality :gonf:

Not sure if I should post this here.

I just roamed a sub-forum for Dunkirk on a popular China forum/site called Baidu Tieba... Lots of negative reviews and reactions. But lots of stupid reasons from what I've read. There's one comment that literally says: "Dunkirk is so bad. It calls itself a war film, yet there's not even an enemy , and they never even fired a gun (lol what)" :lol: Most just post reaction and gave no reason at all. (E.g: "extremely bad" "so boring" "movie sucked" etc.)

There're some positive reactions. Although most of them praise the aspects that you've already heard hundreds of times before, like great sound effects, Zimmer's score, visual effects, atmosphere, and the unconventionality of the film. Some of the fans who like it even admit the film isn't quite to the taste of Chinese audience.

Link to the forum for anyone who can read Chinese: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5293482429 And sorry but I couldn't make it past the first page.

Re China, I saw a number of comments on twitter (Google-translated Chinese) that said the Chinese version used "motherland" repeatedly instead of "home". I don't know if the Chinese version is dubbed or subtitled.

---

Re UK - these are from @StylesMovieNews and probably without adjusting for inflation...
Dunkirk has out-grossed all of Nolan's movies (e.g. The Dark Knight, Inception...) except for The Dark Knight Rises so far in the UK.

Dunkirk has out-grossed several Harry Potter movies in the UK. That's huge! It's currently out-grossed The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Goblet of Fire and The Half-Blood Prince. It has The Deathly Hallows Part 1 in sight.

There has been suggestions that a re-release and Oscar hype could help Dunkirk challenge the domestic grosses of Pearl Harbor & Saving PR.

Bale Fan wrote:Not sure if I should post this here.

I just roamed a sub-forum for Dunkirk on a popular China forum/site called Baidu Tieba... Lots of negative reviews and reactions. But lots of stupid reasons from what I've read. There's one comment that literally says: "Dunkirk is so bad. It calls itself a war film, yet there's not even an enemy , and they never even fired a gun (lol what)" :lol: Most just post reaction and gave no reason at all. (E.g: "extremely bad" "so boring" "movie sucked" etc.)

There're some positive reactions. Although most of them praise the aspects that you've already heard hundreds of times before, like great sound effects, Zimmer's score, visual effects, atmosphere, and the unconventionality of the film. Some of the fans who like it even admit the film isn't quite to the taste of Chinese audience.

Link to the forum for anyone who can read Chinese: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5293482429 And sorry but I couldn't make it past the first page.
The taste of the Chinese audiences are bad for Cinema. It is the new massive market that Hollywood is catering to, but they love crap. They along with some other markets are why we keep getting Transformers movies, Pirates, and the Fast and Furious series.

@BoxOffice
#Dunkirk earned an estimated $930K on Friday. Domestic total is now $175.56M.

From deadline
the film also bowed in Italy on Thursday, racking up the biggest opening day for a WB film in 2017 there. According to the studio, the film more than doubled the opening gross of director Nolan’s Interstellar and is on par with his Inception. It ranked No. 1 for $778K on 606 screens. That was good for a 51% market share of the Top 5 films.

The domestic started lagging, but still a huge success. WB must be ecstatic.

-Vader

Dunkirk $4,125,000 (+4.5%)
Total: $178,754,545

That's two times Hacksaw's opening.£