Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Innovator wrote:
Dunkirk should be able to do at least $400M total, right?
Assuming it finishes around $175m domestic, I think WB's goal is probably around $435m worldwide. Through Friday, the domestic gross was 44.65% of the worldwide total. Last weekend that number was more like 47% domestic, so it is dropping as time goes by. They would probably like to see that domestic share drop down to around 40% when it's all said and done.

This weekend it's releasing in United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Kuwait, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay. Those new markets should help continue driving down the domestic percentage of the global gross. China, Japan, Italy, and Greece don't release until late August/September, so those should also help increase the overseas percentage of the global total.
Before this last update, I was thinking the total worldwide gross for Dunkirk would be close to The Legend of Tarzan and Mad Max: Fury Road, but I'm surprised by how well this hold up overseas after the OW. So anything above $400M WW would be a big success.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan and Thomas through Syncopy financed 25% of the budget.

Legendary isn't involved this time around and it was reported they put down their own money.

Which means an even bigger chunk of the box office. Nolan keeps winning.

anikom15 wrote:I have the suspicion a lot of people think this is just a typical Oscar bait period piece that they can catch up with on Netflix.

They're in for a big surprise.
I don't see how that's possible being that every critic/reviewer out there has stated over and over that viewing this in IMAX is a must....unless you think the average citizen has an IMAX theater in their basement? I can't imagine there's anyone out there who hasn't gotten the message. To be fair, I'm sure some will still wait until they can view it at home, but for those who want to see what all the buzz is about, IMAX it is.

Shady1 wrote:
anikom15 wrote:I have the suspicion a lot of people think this is just a typical Oscar bait period piece that they can catch up with on Netflix.

They're in for a big surprise.
I don't see how that's possible being that every critic/reviewer out there has stated over and over that viewing this in IMAX is a must....unless you think the average citizen has an IMAX theater in their basement? I can't imagine there's anyone out there who hasn't gotten the message. To be fair, I'm sure some will still wait until they can view it at home, but for those who want to see what all the buzz is about, IMAX it is.
There are plenty of people who ignore critics.

Where did anikom15 mention seeing it in IMAX? This movie deserves to be seeing on a big screen with a great sound system. The bigger the screen the better but a regular screen is still much better than the biggest TV at home. Some did the same thing with Interstellar where they skipped its theatrical run and catched when it came out on home video and they regretted not seeing it on the biggest screen possible.

MyCocaine wrote:Calm the fuck down people.

Emoji hasn't won the weekend. It will have a terrible WOM so let's save the meltdowns for later.

If it does win it hardly matters. Dunkirk will still have grossed over $100 domestically in 10 days.
Exactly

If Emoji wins the weekend, it's not embarrassing for Dunkirk, it's embarrassing for Atomic Blonde, lbr here. Dunkirk is performing just fine. Look at the audience score in Atomic Blonde. 68% and it's been out for a day... and this shouldn't be a 'divisive' film for the audience. It's an action-packed film with Charlize Theron and James McAvoy.

Good signs on the movie ticket tracking websites right now. Emoji dropped off a lot and Dunkirk is ahead by a pretty good margin. Would like to see Dunkirk increase at least 40% today. If it can make a push for Star Trek Beyond's 48% increase, that would be awesome.

dunkirktrash wrote:If Emoji wins the weekend, it's not embarrassing for Dunkirk, it's embarrassing for Atomic Blonde, lbr here. Dunkirk is performing just fine. Look at the audience score in Atomic Blonde. 68% and it's been out for a day... and this shouldn't be a 'divisive' film for the audience. It's an action-packed film with Charlize Theron and James McAvoy.
yup

It wouldn't have been embarrassing for Dunkirk even if it was its opening weekend and Emoji's second one. It would be good to see Dunkirk win the weekend so that it can attract even more attention, and it most likely will, but let's not make such a big deal of things.

Some of the members here were so frustrated when Big Hero 6 won the opening weekend over Interstellar, but at the end of the day Interstellar outperformed Big Hero 6 on its global gross. It did better than a 3D family film from Marvel and Disney with a much better tomatometer and cinemascore and half its runtime, and people here just wasted their times, being upset over nothing.£