Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Drove into Reno this morning and caught an early-bird special. Maybe 15 in attendance. Everyone was at least 25 years older than me (I'm 29), many of them seniors. Two elderly men left the cinema at the same time as I did; one called it "Okay," and I b believe the other called it a "Good film, not great but good."

I personally think one's experience is enhanced based on your theater and audience. If it's IMAX and a packed house that is vocally engaged and applauds at the end, maybe they love it a little more. I can say that for myself, at least.
I think the "real" IMAX versions will have A+ word of mouth. That's 70mm IMAX and 1.43 Laser IMAX. They are both absolutely incredible experiences. I saw it three times in 1.43 Laser IMAX over the weekend and the crowd was extremely happy as we walked down the stairs leaving the building. I think in the proper format, it will be a similar experience to Avatar and Gravity in 3D for many people. It's unfortunate there aren't very many of these true IMAX locations around the world, but they are providing a jawdropping experience for this particular movie.

The word of mouth I mentioned above is already showing up in ticket sales. It is playing really well in the "real" IMAX locations. Lincoln Square in New York is pretty much sold out for the IMAX shows on Wednesday night at 7 PM and 10 PM. IMAX across the board is really going to help the film's staying power at the box office, but the "special" true IMAX locations such as Lincoln Square are going to be extremely helpful. It's a good thing the movie will be playing on these screens for 6 weeks. :D

redfirebird2008 wrote:Heck, even the 4 PM IMAX show at Lincoln Square sold extremely well today. Vast majority of tickets sold:

https://i.imgur.com/QinGfg0_d.jpg?maxwi ... elity=high
Pretty much how my 11:00am showing at the Universal Citywalk looked like. Glad to see it was doing so well in the morning in the middle of the week :gonf:

Hollywood has gone too far with Emoji. A shameless affair. This movie needs to bomb.

I refuse to believe parents and their kids are stupid enough to go see it. But of course they are.

In four separate viewings of Dunkirk I've seen kids dragging their parents to the giant Emoji poster.

MyCocaine wrote:Hollywood has gone too far with Emoji. A shameless affair. This movie needs to bomb.

I refuse to believe parents and their kids are stupid enough to go see it. But of course they are.

In four separate viewings of Dunkirk I've seen kids dragging their parents to the giant Emoji poster.
I want you to be right that Dunkirk will win the weekend, but I strongly doubt it.

Both of you speak with too much certainty. It will be a close race. It can go either way.£

Dunkirk could easily hit 200 by the end of this weekend (worldwide) if this pace keeps up. That's really incredible.

-Vader

The Weekend Forecast:

The Emoji Movie Sony / Columbia $30,000,000 NEW
Dunkirk Warner Bros. $28,000,000 -45%
Atomic Blonde Focus Features $21,000,000 NEW
Girls Trip Universal $19,000,000 -39%
Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony / Columbia $12,200,000 -45%
War for the Planet of the Apes Fox $9,600,000 -54%
http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-foreca ... irls-trip/