Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

Barrett wrote:"South Korea Box Office: 'Dunkirk' Dominates With Impressive $10.3M Debut"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ut-1024126
Is that good compared to Nolans other flicks? Say Interstellar, Inception. I Remember DKR dominating in SK.

EDIT
Dunkirk's opening weekend was also one of the biggest openings for any Warner Bros. film in the country, topping both Gravity and American Sniper— the only film with a bigger opening was Nolan's 2014 sci-fi drama Interstellar.

Interstellar ranks among the top films of all time in South Korea

dormouse7 wrote:Just saw it again tonight, this time in my local small town IMAX (surprised it seems to be laser based on the aspect ratio being almost as tall as my 15/70 IMAX film viewing last week).

The cinema was pretty empty. Early in the day I became the 7th reserved seat. It seemed like another 6-10 were walkins, so maybe 17 people in the cinema. This was a 5 PM weeknight showing. I left work early to see it.
I thought IMAX Laser was the same aspect ratio/screen size as 15/70.

Wait did you see IMAX digital or laser? I just saw your other post.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Interstellar also open on a Wednesday?

How do they count their opening weekend total? Is it everything from release, or since Friday, or... ?

Curious, because I think Dunkirk at least gets Thursday night's totals as a part of the "opening weekend" as well. Thanks.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 25th, 2017, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunkirktrash wrote:
Nomis wrote::clap: where's it yet to open?

Plus, Greece (today), German-speaking Switzerland, Lebanon, UAE, Germany (27th), South Africa, Austria (28th), Italy (31 Aug), Japan (9 September).
nice

Bacon wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:Just saw it again tonight, this time in my local small town IMAX (surprised it seems to be laser based on the aspect ratio being almost as tall as my 15/70 IMAX film viewing last week).

The cinema was pretty empty. Early in the day I became the 7th reserved seat. It seemed like another 6-10 were walkins, so maybe 17 people in the cinema. This was a 5 PM weeknight showing. I left work early to see it.
I thought IMAX Laser was the same aspect ratio/screen size as 15/70.

Wait did you see IMAX digital or laser? I just saw your other post.
I guess I am confused again. I think I saw an old article that said that cinema (Downingtown) has "DLP"? Is that digital? The image looked as tall as the 1570 IMAX film I saw in King of Prussia. So what was it? I thought only Laser was (almost) as tall in aspect as 1570 film.

Interstellar was massive in South Korea. I recall Nolan and some of the cast members thanking the audience in South Korea a few weeks after the release when it broke some box office records there.
I think China will also be huge. 25% of Interstellar's foreign box office was from China.

Strong $6.4M MON for #Dunkirk, off just 51% from SUN. 1st full week shd reach about $75M. Will get near $100M after 2nd wknd.
:clap:

That is a great Monday number. Inception dropped 47% and Discount Tuesday is a huge deal now. It was not a big deal in 2010. Inception dropped 4% on its first Tuesday. Dunkirk will probably increase 10-15% on Tuesday. Apes increased 23.5% last Tuesday, but it did not have IMAX helping boost the Monday gross.