Set Photos/Videos (Potential Spoilers)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Very welcome! :twothumbsup: I figured this forum would appreciate it so I wanted to share it.

I apologize for the quality again, I did not anticipate filming anything and all I had was an old MiniDV cam with a long zoom, in which captured those shots.

In reply to dormouse7,
Indeed! I was only there on the 25th and from what I saw, Nolan controlled every shot with the gimbal. Fascinating to watch.
I however did not see any actors leave the set that day unfortunately so not sure who was in the cockpit gimbal. Could've been practice shots/inserts since the days after (26th or 27th) I began to see photos with the actors surface. We shall find out later this month! ;)

I really wonder what kind of shots they got there. The gimbal I can understand, because it will be just closeup/medium shots of the actors in the cockpit. But the crane with the plane extending its landing gear, what kind of shot could they get out of that?

If they kept the horizon out of the shot, would be good for a take-off shot of the landing gear retracting w/ sky as the background.

Forum Pro
Law
A majority of those shots are in the prologue. Once the movie is out and we're able to dissect the scenes, it'll be fairly obvious that they're filming on that peak. I say this because I've seen the prologue about 500x and in one cut they're flying sky high, and in the next cut when Hardy is turning the plane, you can practically see fish swimming in the ocean.

I think they used the gimbal for the views looking straight in the face of the actor-pilot and possibly also some over the shoulder views (even though they did some of those in the air with an IMAX in the cockpit and a special "snorkel" lens). They could also have used it for views too dangerous to get with the real plane.

I thought it was really interesting to use the southernmost point of California that way. Apparently the ocean horizon view there is superwide because there is no other land in the view for most angles.

Forum Pro
Law
Pioneerr wrote:Image
Finally, a set photo

I feel as though Nolan just blew something up and Hoyte is like 'He can't do that, can he?'

Oku
"D-d-drop the beat."

DJ Nolan.