Harry Styles joins the cast of 'Dunkirk'

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
dunkirktrash wrote:He said he wasn't reading scripts and he didn't have a Hollywood career planned on 10 November 2015
http://www.capitalfm.com/artists/one-di ... 7MPDC2F.97

They did their last show as a band on 13 December 2015 (X Factor UK).

Two weeks off for holidays and then...

by 2 January 2016 he had already hired Alex Mebed, an agent and motion picture talent from CAA: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4755262/

My guess is that he read the script and started auditioning not long after that. We got news of his cast in early March.

Mark my words: he's gonna keep acting.
Without a doubt. He said he wanted to find something that felt as good as performing and I think he did :)

okungnyo wrote: Thanks, he definitely feels like someone who keeps his card as close to his chest as possible until the last minute, just like Mr. Nolan (no wonder he picked him).

Still can't believe that Mr. Styles hasn't tweeted about the film once.
You have no idea, and I think he loves watching fans fall over themselves trying to figure it out. I don't believe a thing he said about his songs and the inspiration behind them and I don't think he has ever said one straightfoward thing since he turned 19.

As per twitter... told ya.

Oku
The sense of mystery is definitely part of the charm.

Hope he tweets out something next week, though.

okungnyo wrote:But is there a chance that he wasn't lying?

The album came out in November 2015 and he was announced as cast in March 2016.

Maybe he started auditioning in December or something. :P
Exactly. Harry answered no to the movies/scripts question in November 2015, and as of early December based on Warner Bros own press release, the young unknowns were "yet-to-be-cast" and they had just started talks with the big name actors. And in January 2016, Harry visited Lionsgate so I doubt he was cast in Dunkirk at that time yet visiting another studio. IMO Harry was not lying in November 2015.

We know he was offered at least one role prior to 1D's hiatus (in Tulip Fever) but he didn't take it.
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 13th, 2017, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wish Nolan hadn't said this quite this way. The rags are only picking up on the bolded line and repeating that Harry was barely in the trailers because he's not in the movie much. (and not saying that it's an ensemble cast and no one actor is in the movie much)
Fans of the singer were obviously ecstatic that their beloved Harry would be making his acting debut with one of the premiere filmmakers working today. While followers of Nolan likely scratched their heads at what — from the outside — looked like stunt casting, an unusual movie for such a particular visionary.

As trailers for Dunkirk began to trickle out beginning last August, fans scoured the footage for images of Styles, with his previously long locks shorn for the World War II tale of British troops surrounded by Nazis on the beaches of France.

But he was barely there.

Sure, if you looked closely, there was evidence of Styles in the movies, but there weren’t lines of dialogue or big moments of action. Among a young cast of unknowns, why would Warner Bros. and Nolan hide one of the biggest pop stars in the world? Well, because they didn’t want to piss off the people looking for him.

“We’re not trying to oversell Harry in the movie for the specific reason that it’s an ensemble,” Nolan told EW during a discussion at one of his production company’s offices. “We don’t want people who are huge fans of his being disappointed that he’s not in it enough.”

And the fact is that no one actor in is Dunkirk that much. While the three storylines are anchored by individual performances — by Hardy, Mark Rylance, and newcomer Fionn Whitehead — the evacuation of Dunkirk involved 400,000 soldiers, so there are just as many stories on which to focus.

For his role, Styles — who’s credited as “Alex,” though he’s essentially nameless like the rest of the cast — has a difficult part to play. His character can only see one aspect of what’s happening at Dunkirk. The British are retreating, hoping that they can escape annihilation by running away across the English Channel, and retreat is a shameful thing. It’s defeat.

“I think what Harry does is extremely subtle because it’s very real,” Nolan said. “It’s not cartoonish. It’s not obvious. He really taps into the reality of the situation. It’s a subtle performance. It almost risks being missed because what it’s actually doing. I think it’s a great character for him, and I think he did an incredible job.”
http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/13/dunkirk ... mentweekly

Example - see the video here "Harry Styles Not Prominently Featured in Dunkirk Trailers"
"because he does not have a major role"
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/h ... 418625f4db
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 13th, 2017, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He definitely was lying when he said he wasn't thinking of an acting career if six weeks later, two weeks after he finished his obligations and contract with the band, he hired an acting agent... In no way did we say that he was lying about already being cast in Dunkirk or having already read the script.

Hopefully we can find that question but I remember the question being more like whether he had a movie lined up already (like "is there a movie role in your future") and he said no. I do not remember the question in November 2015 being whether he was he going to pursue acting. In November 2015 he would have no way to know if a movie was in his future. He probably would have an idea whether he intended to pursue acting (which he did).
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 13th, 2017, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paraphrasing "We hear Hollywood's calling, scripts aplenty". So, yeah, he did lie. It doesn't matter. He lied for the same reason he's lying here: he wanted to focus the promo season on the album with his band as opposed to making it about himself and his future career. Now he's trying to focus on the film as opposed to making it about himself and his future career.

I agree. I think in November 2015 he was concentrating on One Direction stuff and not wanting to discuss hiatus plans/hopes. And now he wants to concentrate on the Dunkirk premiere and promo, and then on his tour, and not on whether or not he will do a future movie.

I think it's smart he doesn't make promises.