Dunkirk's Soundtrack

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Nolan said Nimrod us usually played in ceremonies and funerals and whenever he hears it he is reminded of the weight of his father's coffin. Not that his father was moved by it at a funeral!

I think the way they incorporated Nimrod into the score is brilliant and clever. All through the movie you hear it in the background, dark and cold, played by a solo instrument like a cry for help. But in very specific heroic moments it goes fully orchestral and it heightens the emotions to the max. Stripping the score of emotion and sentimentality made those moments have a greater effect on the viewer.

And yeah I think 'Variation 15' is great so is 'Home'.
Last edited by Tarssauce on January 2nd, 2018, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oku
What do you mean you think 'Variation 15' so is 'Home'

That was a typo. Corrected it now :D

In a Deadline interview, Zimmer reveals (at 14:45) that they had made an entirely different, orchestral score for Dunkirk and had to scrap it because it didn't pair well with the movie. Too bad it wasn't released.

Oku
Yeah, that's rough.

Maybe Mr. Nolan gave him a one-page letter like he did with Interstellar, and it said something like "War movie about the Dunkirk evacuation".

And from that, Mr. Zimmer probably assumed, as we all did initially, that the film would be an all-encompassing war epic, character-focused, close to three hours long, etc.

So does that mean the rumour about the music from that one TV spot being the original score is correct? (can’t find a link to it atm, but most of you know what I’m talking about, right?)

Yeah that's probably the case. I remember hearing it and thinking that it sounded a lot like Zimmer's work. Such a shame it didn't make the final film - but then again, the soundtrack is fantastic as it is.

Edit: I tried to find the said TV Spot but it's been deleted...

Oku
Please tell me someone here downloaded the TV spot before it was taken down...

Please tell me we didn't just lose a taste of the unreleased Dunkirk score forever...

Yup, that's the one. Love it.