Dunkirk's Soundtrack

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
We got a little tease of the soundtrack in the prologue. When Branagh's character looks up (towards the end) you hear something I can't really place, maybe a flute or so? It sounds really cool.

But there's something you hear prominently during the prologue, and that's two notes switching back and forth. It's totally nerve-wrecking and that'll return too in the intense scenes, I think. And then of course the ticking, it will be very important in the soundtrack.
And I'm sure the horn of doom will be hard to find in this one.

The sound you're talking about also plays in the dogfight.

What we've heard so far is:
Ticking, lots of it and of all sorts. The ticks sound very metallic to me unlike the ones in Interstellar (wooden).
There's this drone hum that plays through the whole prologue and first teaser.
A pulsating synth or flute, I can't tell really.
The thematic music in the trailer which is still not confirmed to be Hans' (Didn't they deny that Hans' music was used in the first teaser of Interstellar?) And don't forget it might be part of a suite Hans did and not a cue in the movie.
I really want the music from the prologue now. The ticks have been stuck in my head ever since I saw the prologue.

I think the music from the trailer (that means the second part, not the choir) didn't really fit the style of the music in the prologue.

EDIT: but maybe it's a bit too early to speculate about that, since we haven't heard anything else from the soundtrack.

I get what you're saying, but to me the prologue is just one small sequence from the movie and probably doesn't represent the whole score. It's like judging Interstellar's score based on Imperfect Contact.
The music in the second half of the trailer has a heartbeat rhythm and that makes it fit in the world of sounds he created. And as I said think of it as an early suite not as a cue from the movie.

I always excluded the choir parts because we already know where that comes from, but the sad/hopeful music just doesn't exist anywhere other than the trailer.
Last edited by Tarssauce on January 6th, 2017, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah we don't know anything at this point actually. But I do know that I am really glad with the soundtrack of the prologue. Holy f*ck it's intense.

Indeed. I wish they would release that track now.
One of my favorite parts is when Fionn and co. reach the plank of wood. The way the ticking changes is :shock:

True, it almost sounds like a beat to me....

AhmadAli95 wrote:The sound you're talking about also plays in the dogfight.

What we've heard so far is:
Ticking, lots of it and of all sorts. The ticks sound very metallic to me unlike the ones in Interstellar (wooden).
There's this drone hum that plays through the whole prologue and first teaser.
A pulsating synth or flute, I can't tell really.
The thematic music in the trailer which is still not confirmed to be Hans' (Didn't they deny that Hans' music was used in the first teaser of Interstellar?) And don't forget it might be part of a suite Hans did and not a cue in the movie.
I really want the music from the prologue now. The ticks have been stuck in my head ever since I saw the prologue.
The thematic cues in the trailer are 100% not Hans

I found this fanmade soundtrack, had to share it.