Dunkirk's Soundtrack

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Thanks dawg. I don't know what it is with this forum that makes posting YouTube links such a hassle. About the soundtrack, it's not going to leak. That ship got stuka dive bombed.

Don’t give up just yet. Last year we were hoping for an FYC release. Now, our only hope is for the recording sessions to leak. It’ll take time but it’s possible. BvS leaked this year - it felt like we (who want the complete score) were waiting forever but we only waited two years which not that bad.

Now... I’m not sure if the nature of the score will prevent the leak compared to the traditional approach they took with the other scores. Also, if it does leak I hope it includes suites like Inception especially the track from the prologue.

Color me surprised. That guy hates Nolan. Guess a score can be separated from the movie, but still. It’s a rare event to hear Nolan's films mentioned in his top lists.

Firstly, if I remember correctly atleast two guys are responsible for these videos, so it's not just Clint or whatever his name his. Secondly, I don't think they hate Nolan. They just seem to not like TDKR and Interstellar much, but Dunkirk already appeared in several videos, as did Inception and other Nolan movies, and they had The Prestige as their #5 best Sci-Fi film.

I don't know about the other guys, but the dude who talks straight out said he doesn't like Nolan's filmmaking in some video or interview.

Touché

I really don't want to jinx it but... WB films complete scores from last year are leaking one by one (WW JL and BR2049) so fingers crossed :gonf:

I've been listening to a film rip of the score and it's amazing.

Can't stop listening to this. This might be my favorite Nolan/Zimmer soundtrack.

Related not to the soundtrack, but to the sounds in Dunkirk...

Christopher Nolan’s Sound Designer Spills Behind-the-Scenes Secrets From ‘Dunkirk’ and ‘The Dark Knight’

In a recent Reddit AMA, King detailed the innovative foley techniques he's used on Nolan's films.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/chris ... 202165030/

Excerpt:
Richard King — sound designer and supervising sound editor on films including “Dunkirk,” “Inception,” “The Dark Knight,” and “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World,” all of which won him Academy Awards for Best Sound Editing — has been creating aural effects for movies since 1983. He’s a longtime collaborator with Christopher Nolan, realizing the sonic worlds of all of the British auteur’s films since “The Prestige.” King also serves as supervising sound editor on Nolan’s upcoming, mystery-enshrouded “Tenet,” which currently has a trailer playing in theaters ahead of screenings of “Hobbs & Shaw.”

In a recent Reddit AMA, King shared some of the secrets to his success, including the innovative foley techniques he employed on 2017’s World War II epic “Dunkirk.” (For filmmakers, King has also made available a sound effects library.)

With regard to one of the exhilarating plane-crash sequences in “Dunkirk,” King said: “Chris had the genius idea of having the plane’s engine winding up instead of sputtering as it goes down. I put a billiard ball in my dryer at home to get random banging to simulate like a crank shaft is broken loose. He’s going 100 knots so at that speed hitting water is like hitting concrete. The penultimate moment had to be huge. That’s a sound we worked on for a long time to try to give it the biggest metal crack we could make.”

King also added, “Loud sounds like explosions are more startling and effective if they’re preceded by a little silence. For instance, the scene where the British soldiers are hiding in the metal trawler which the Germans begin using as target practice. It’s shocking because it’s a fairly quiet scene.”

When asked about his favorite “sound accident,” King said, “I accidentally crashed a Mercedes Benz once and got an incredible impact sound.” King also said, “We crashed into an airplane hangar within 2 feet of an airplane propellor. We revved up an electric car so high that the engine seized up and I got a great shuddering clunk sound. We dropped a concrete k-rail on a car, inadvertently crushing the microphone inside. We got a great crash sound up until the mic was destroyed. These are accidents I would not suggest repeating, but we got some great sounds (and nobody got hurt).”

To achieve the terrifying gun sounds in “Dunkirk,” King said, “The guns in the opening sequence in the town of Dunkirk were a combination of great production sound(!) and the German machine guns that we recorded. The production gun sounds had a great crack and had the benefit of the natural reverb of the narrow cobblestone street. They were also played very loud, which makes them abrasive and shocking. They also sound harsh and raw because there’s no sound absorption on that street, it’s like a little stone canyon, which makes it bright and abrasive.”