Dunkirk's Soundtrack

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It's too early for Oscar talk. Inception and Interstellar had strong competitors. As long as it doesn't get disqualified because of Variation 15 (which I kinda doubt since it was specifically modified for the movie not just pin dropped) it still has a shot to win.

I think it will get nominated because it's right on the edge. It has enough varied and original material to just fit in.

But I think it has 0 chances of winning. Unless the competition is weak this year.

AhmadAli95 wrote:It's too early for Oscar talk. Inception and Interstellar had strong competitors. As long as it doesn't get disqualified because of Variation 15 (which I kinda doubt since it was specifically modified for the movie not just pin dropped) it still has a shot to win.
It is indeed too early, a contender like La La Land might sweep in and steal all the buzz. That's what happened with Inception and The Social Network (which I love).

Interstellar deserved it though, even if I like The Theory of Everything score a lot. Zimmer went through a lot of effort for the Interstellar score (the organs, the way the motifs were conceived etc). That doesn't seem to be the case for Dunkirk.

The difficult thing about this soundtrack is that it doesn't have a standout piece like Time was for Inception.

It's a lot of background complimentary work from Zimmer here. Almost like aggressive ambient music rather than a classical orchestral composition. But I think it's varied enough to have a shot at being nominated IF the competition, like I said, is thin.

@anarchy Well, both Nolan and Zimmer said this score was the most difficult to make out of everything they've done together so I'm pretty sure there was just as much effort in it as Interstellar. I recommed you listen to the ClassicFM interview with Nolan where he talks about the scoring process on this film, I posted it in a previous page.

The Grand Budhapist Hotel won the Oscar, while The Theory Of Everything won the Golden Globe. Both scores were amazing. I personally prefer Interstellar obviously. I'm sure there'll be a lot of incredible movies with possibly incredible scores ready to be unleashed later in the year, so it's going to be a very interesting award season next year.

The tracklist + track lengths + credits.
Credit: Jordan from hans-zimmer.com
*Spoiler tagged to save space.
"Informations taken from the CD Album :

1. The Mole (05:29) - Hans Zimmer (includes a theme by Sir Edward Elgar)
2. We Need Our Army Back (06:04) - Hans Zimmer
3. Shivering Soldier (02:51) - Hans Zimmer
4. Supermarine (07:59) - Hans Zimmer
5. The Tide (03:49) - Hans Zimmer (includes a theme by Sir Edward Elgar)
6. Regimental Brothers (05:02) - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe (includes a theme by Sir Edward Elgar)
7. Impulse (02:34) - Hans Zimmer
8. Home (06:00) - Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch (includes a theme by Sir Edward Elgar)
9. The Oil (06:10) - Hans Zimmer
10. Variation 15 (Dunkirk) (05:52) - Benjamin Wallfisch (based on a theme by Sir Edward Elgar)
11. End Titles (07:13) - Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe & Benjamin Wallfisch (includes a theme by Sir Edward Elgar)"
I knew Nolan said Elgar's theme was used all over the movie but I'm still kinda surprise. Expect it to leak any time now.

Edit: I skimmed through it and I'm kinda disappointed. Wasn't planning on listening to it before watching the movie and I haven't really listened to it really, was just looking for the music from the prologue. IT'S NOT ON THE ALBUM! WTF. I'll probably change my mind when I actually watch the movie but at this very moment I'm disappointed on how they handled the whole prologue thing, very misleading.

@Antovolk from just a quick run through, Supermarine is all over the soundtrack.

Why are so many tracks not original themes? I'm confused...

That score is mental! In the most positive way. I mean, I could see why people may not like it as a stand-alone, but the suspense in some of the tracks ('Impulse' and 'Home' for example) is absolutely mind blowing. All my ears need for a walk on a rainy summer night.

Just listen "Home".

Awesome!

Its a shame the prologue track isnt featured on the album, I was really hoping to get a good listen to it. Anton confimed it is in the movie so I hope its not the same situation like with the docking "No Time For Caution" track from Interstellar that didnt make it to the album (until later) + really hope it will be released.