Budget

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It looks like it cost a whole lot more. Can't say the same for a lot of CGI driven spectacles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes a WWI set film would be glorious from Nolan.

It would be quite ironic if a WWII movie that relies on practical effects costs less than a CGI-fest movie (shot digitally too lol).

Well, it does

During the award season of Inception, I remember Danny Boyle saying that Nolan can make a 160M movie look like a 320M one.
Also to give perspective, the new Power Rangers movie cost the same as Dunkirk, King Arthur 175M, and the Mummy 125M. :crazy:

CGI still seems confusing expensive to me, especially when much of it ends up looking like shit anyway

so it's like the ROI doesn't match up

I think Nolan's efficiency is also because he doesn't use a second unit. He said that it's cheaper to have one unit and a longer shoot than the opposite.
He also trim the script before shooting which means less waste of time and money and also the reason why he's able to present a rough cut pretty early during post.

Cilogy wrote:CGI still seems confusing expensive to me, especially when much of it ends up looking like shit anyway

so it's like the ROI doesn't match up

i don’t think it does

Nolan spews a lot of nonsense about celluloid film quality, but his anecdote on CGI is spot on

he said something about how when films with heavy CGI come out, people gasp and are in awe, but after just a few years, they don’t hold up

note how all of Nolan’s films still hold up - effects based in reality and enhanced with CGI when need be are almost always better than the reverse

Dunkirk's VFX shots were finished in 8K, Interstellar's 5.6K, I don't know about the films before that?

Anyway, I know it's not all about the resolution they're rendered in but it does help. I love that with Dunkirk they've finally reached the point where practical and CG are indistinguishable.

Oku
The only shot that made me go "maybe/possible that's CG...?" was in the wide shot
where you see tiny men on the overturned minesweeper.
Would love for the VFX supervisor to give some interviews.

Any day now...

okungnyo wrote:The only shot that made me go "maybe/possible that's CG...?" was in the wide shot
where you see tiny men on the overturned minesweeper.
Would love for the VFX supervisor to give some interviews.

Any day now...
That's the only one I've questioned so far. That one and...
... the water hit of Collins' plane from Farrier's POV.
Though both of them may be totally real as well.