Budget

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
the cat died that way

Oku
Dying is my last name. ;)

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Nomis wrote:Honestly I'm not very fond of Fincher's use of CGI.
Except for when he uses it and you can't tell, like for Armie Hammer and the Winklevoss twins.

But then in that same film he can't do cold breath for shit.
Sure but that's like one of the very few moments CG feels justified. It didn't look indistinguishable though, but it's a tricky thing to pull off.
Overall I'm really not fond of Fincher's use of CGI. Like the CG breath, or all those tiny things in Gone Girl. Sure most of the CG work in his films is so minimal that you won't notice at first. However I think just as with big spectacle CG, which wows at first and won't age well in most cases, the same can be said for the smallest uses. Think of a floating pen in Gravity, it looks fake now. Things like that. (yes I know Gravity isn't from Fincher but you get the point)

I immediately noticed something in Dunkirk that looked CGI to me:
in the famous Mole shot (when everybody ducks down) you see a bomb from the Stukas hit in the distance on the left side of the Mole. It looks pretty fake to me compared to all the other real explosions. Did anybody else notice this?
But I may also be very wrong lol

I only had one 'oo that's CGI moment' (and together with me some other friends);
at the end of the movie when the Spitfire is gliding, there is a shot from the side with the town passing underneath. It looked really fake, prob because the plane was not moving at all within the frame and the lighting on the plane did not change within the shot. Looked just as if the plane was on a greenscreen set and they put a background plate behind it.

By the way, sometimes you could see really well where they used miniature planes. I was amazed how good the scale worked,
even if I could see in the details that they were miniatures. Respect to Hoyte for framing that up so well, depth in such shots is really important. But the Stuka crashing straight down into the water (at the end of the movie) made me laugh out loud. The speed, scale and motion just did not fit at all :lol:

You do realize they actually filmed all of that lol?

Edit:
I'm talking about the Spitfire gliding with the town underneath

Yes, I posted multiple photos from that shoot. What I was trying to say is that nowadays with all the shitty CGI we are seeing some real life shots turn out for some reason like weird CGI-looking shots.

The shots involving the mirrors of the planes are very clearly CGI for obvious reasons.
ImageImage
These two plane shots are CGI as well as all the smoke that comes from all the planes as they get damaged throughout the movie.
ImageImage
The beach shots specifically from this angle look heavily CGI'ed but I wonder why. Possibly overlaying those weather effects and the soldiers or removing modern items from the shot, et cetera, resulted in the shots eventually becoming this bad looking. They could have also been lazy or wanted to add it in after they already finished filming. (The poor quality is due to it being a screenshot of a low resolution TV spot.)
There's a shot where a soldier is burning in the movie and either he or the fire looks really shittily superimposed too but the specific shot is not in the trailers. Overall, Dunkirk has some of the hardest to detect CGI out of Nolan's blockbusters.

@Pioneerr, were you also talking about this shot? Quality is crappy because of TV spot quality.
Sorry I couldn't actually embed the picture in the post because I wasn't able to copy the .jpg link on my phone

Willem wrote:@Pioneerr, were you also talking about this shot? Quality is crappy because of TV spot quality.
Sorry I couldn't actually embed the picture in the post because I wasn't able to copy the .jpg link on my phone
Fixed it for you.