Casting Speculation/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
User avatar
Posts: 3195
Joined: April 2010
Location: We can't stop here, this is Bat Country!
Nomis wrote:He did said he wanted to make something for his kids..
yeah, wasn't that Interstellar...

Posts: 144
Joined: September 2015
As Nolan has grown older, his sense of his audience has changed. As Emma put it, “Where, in the past, he never made movies for any reason other than the fact that he wanted to see those movies himself, now he wants to make films he can watch with his kids.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/magaz ... nolan.html
This could obviously mean a lot of things, but here it is.

Image

Posts: 3728
Joined: June 2011
She was saying that about Interstellar and future projects.

User avatar
Posts: 1329
Joined: April 2014
Location: Depths of Violence
shauner111 wrote:She was saying that about Interstellar and future projects.
Why he can't watch Inception or The Dark Knight Trilogy with his kids as well?

User avatar
Posts: 86
Joined: September 2014
If that's true, then it's a shame really, because Nolan is at his best when he's doing hard hitting noir film where they're least concerned about how the audience feels or to make them comfortable (Memento, The prestige and TDK).

User avatar
Posts: 7212
Joined: January 2014
T-minus 10 wrote:If that's true, then it's a shame really, because Nolan is at his best when he's doing hard hitting noir film where they're least concerned about how the audience feels or to make them comfortable (Memento, The prestige and TDK).
It's a shame he wants to do something for his kids?

And what she said never implied he'd be doing family films. Interstellar was a love letter to his kids yet it had the darkest turn of any of his films.

User avatar
Posts: 86
Joined: September 2014
ChristNolan wrote:
T-minus 10 wrote:If that's true, then it's a shame really, because Nolan is at his best when he's doing hard hitting noir film where they're least concerned about how the audience feels or to make them comfortable (Memento, The prestige and TDK).
It's a shame he wants to do something for his kids?

And what she said never implied he'd be doing family films. Interstellar was a love letter to his kids yet it had the darkest turn of any of his films.
It's a shame because he isn't that good at it as Spielberg.

I wasn't talking about family film, but rather it seems that Nolan in the last couple of films simplify many elements to reach a wide audience, and it result in a lesser vision or film overall.

I still can't get over how he never mentioned Tom in the end of Interstellar, considering he was an elemental charater in the drama, but of course there's one reason for that, and that's not to upset the audience feelings (if you have another reason, I'd be happy to hear it)

And certainly agree Interstellar is an elegiac film but it's not matching the darkness and the hard hitting drama (for example Nolan even admitted that TDKR isn't as psychological scarring as TDK) of likes Memento, The Prestige and TDK (character, narrative and thematic wise).

EDIT: BTW i find Interstellar to be a great film.

User avatar
Posts: 765
Joined: February 2012
Nolan is so naive.

Doesn't he realize his oh so precious kids will be rebellious teenagers before he knows it? They're not going to wanna watch some embarrassing movie their embarrassing dad made.

User avatar
Posts: 3195
Joined: April 2010
Location: We can't stop here, this is Bat Country!
Godzilla wrote:
As Nolan has grown older, his sense of his audience has changed. As Emma put it, “Where, in the past, he never made movies for any reason other than the fact that he wanted to see those movies himself, now he wants to make films he can watch with his kids.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/magaz ... nolan.html
This could obviously mean a lot of things, but here it is.

Image
Worst of those things being: Nolan is only going to make PG-13 movies until he dies.

Fucking kids, always ruin everything.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Law
Posts: 16885
Joined: July 2010
Location: Moonlight Motel
Godzilla wrote:
As Nolan has grown older, his sense of his audience has changed. As Emma put it, “Where, in the past, he never made movies for any reason other than the fact that he wanted to see those movies himself, now he wants to make films he can watch with his kids.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/magaz ... nolan.html
This could obviously mean a lot of things, but here it is.

Image
Every movie he's made besides Following and Memento he can watch with his kids.

Post Reply