Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
User avatar
Posts: 1898
Joined: December 2016
Wow, relax guys. Different people like different things.

User avatar
Posts: 445
Joined: June 2017
Location: Holland
Omniversum is bigger, it is an IMAX Dome theater. But they only show some old IMAX films there.

Posts: 122
Joined: December 2011
Post-Prodution Workflow:

https://ascmag.com/articles/dunkirk-wra ... ge-formats

35mm: Final 5/65 IP-> 35mm anamorphic negative-> Final Prints

70mm: IMAX 15/65 OCN-> 5/65 IP-> IN + 5/65 OCN->IP-> IN = Assembled Final Negative-> Final Prints

IMAX 70mm: IMAX 15/65 OCN + 5/65 OCN-> 15/65 IP-> IN = Assembled Final Prints

Standard Digital: Final 5/65 IP-> 6K(?) Digital Scan-> 4K DCP

IMAX Digital: Final 15/65 IP-> 8K DMR Digital Scan-> 4K IMAX DCP
Last edited by MisterXDTV on July 29th, 2017, 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Posts: 1898
Joined: December 2016
So it's safe to say that the regular DCP would look slightly different than the IMAX DCP?

Posts: 122
Joined: December 2011
AhmadAli95 wrote:So it's safe to say that the regular DCP would look slightly different than the IMAX DCP?
Absolutely, as it happened every time with Nolan movies, IMAX digital uses a better source, a 15/65 IP compared to a 5/65 IP for the standard digital version.

In standard digital you are basically seeing a reduction compared to IMAX Digital. Just like a standard 70mm print is a reduction compared to an IMAX 15/70 print...

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3328
Joined: May 2012
MisterXDTV wrote:Post-Prodution Workflow:

https://ascmag.com/articles/dunkirk-wra ... ge-formats

35mm: Final 5/65 IP-> 35mm anamorphic negative-> Final Prints

70mm: IMAX 15/65 OCN-> 5/65 IP-> IN + 5/65 OCN->IP-> IN = Assembled Final 5/65 negative-> Final Prints

IMAX 70mm: IMAX 15/65 OCN + 5/65 OCN-> 15/65 IP-> IN = Assembled Final 15/65 negative-> Final Prints

Standard Digital: Final 5/65 IP-> 6K(?) Digital Scan-> 4K DCP

IMAX Digital: Final 15/65 IP-> 8K DMR Digital Scan-> 4K IMAX DCP
What do "IP", "OCN", and "IN" mean?
MisterXDTV wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:So it's safe to say that the regular DCP would look slightly different than the IMAX DCP?
Absolutely, as it happened every time with Nolan movies, IMAX digital uses a better source, a 15/65 IP compared to a 5/65 IP for the standard digital version.

In standard digital you are basically seeing a reduction compared to IMAX Digital. Just like a standard 70mm print is a reduction compared to an IMAX 15/70 print...
So which one would you rank higher: standard 70mm (2.20:1, I believe?), or IMAX Laser (1.43:1, at 4K, I believe?)?

Posts: 122
Joined: December 2011
OCN= Original camera negative (what Nolan shot) (1st generation)
IP = Interpositive (2nd generation)
IN = Internegative - AKA duplicate negative (3rd generation)

After reading this workflow there's no doubt that IMAX Laser is much better quality than standard 70mm. And even IMAX Xenon has the same advantages (with worse picture quality compared to Laser)

So probably in terms of pure image quality:

1) IMAX 15/70
2) IMAX Laser
3) IMAX Xenon
4) 70mm/Standard Digital 4K
5) Standard digital 2K
6) 35mm

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3328
Joined: May 2012
Thanks, I imagine Redfirebird2008/redfirebird2008 will dance with joy when he/she reads your comment.

User avatar
Posts: 2577
Joined: June 2016

User avatar
Posts: 2256
Joined: March 2010
Location: Texas
okungnyo wrote:Thanks, I imagine Redfirebird2008/redfirebird2008 will dance with joy when he/she reads your comment.
No, I danced with joy watching the movie in IMAX Laser. Incredible experience. :D

Post Reply